Tosa Town Square
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

<<Boards Main>>
Nancy
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 5:38:59 PM

Groups: Member

I couldn't find the original discussion about the two empty buildings in the Pick 'n Save lot on Mayfair, so I started a new topic.

One is a mattress store. The other is going to be a Firehouse Sub shop. It's a rapidly expanding national chain that was started by firefighters. They put some of their profits back into their communities in the form of donations to local fire departments. The food is supposed to be good. Their specialty is hot subs, and especially roast beef.

My son knows the owner from their days at Flat Top Grill (now defunct, alas...they closed a couple of weeks ago). I didn't want to jump the gun on letting people know about the new sub shop, but I noticed that the sign is up on the outside of the building. I believe there's a Firehouse Subs shop open in Brookfield and they're planning for more shops in this area in the future.

This sounds like a great addition to the Mayfair strip. I'd been hoping for some kind of food place in that building. When I stop to do a little grocery shopping on the way home from work, I like to be able to pick up some fast food for dinner. This would be perfect.

Hitchens’ Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
AndrewJ
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2013 10:53:05 AM

The Flat Top Grill closed already? Wow.

I'd noticed both Firehouse Subs locations. The Brookfield one is just East of Moreland, within the same building as the new Culvers that replaced UNO's. I believe that one might be open. If it is, it just happened within the last week or so. I will give them a try. I shop at that Pick 'n Save regularly, especially Saturday afternoons. I could see grabbing a bite pre-shopping. I think it's kind of funny that I had never heard of them before, now all the sudden I feel surrounded by them. Kind of makes me wish one of them was something else. More variety. Not to mention there is already a Subway, Jimmy John's, and Suburpia smack between these two Firehouse locations.

In other area sub shop news... Anybody know about the 7-11 on 113th? The Subway moved out of there about a month ago and went into the open space next to the Breeze Thru Liquor less than a block away. And boy did they get that up and running in a hurry. I think it was less than 3 weeks from the time construction started to the store being open. Now I'm wondering what goes in next to the 7-11? Or does 7-11 just expand into that space and have more market items?

Also noticed some empty space just South of Edwardo's on the corner of Bluemound and Hwy 100. Not sure if they're just staging road construction equipment there, or if there is something being built. Same thing with the rundown Excel Inn just South of the Wheaton Franciscan. That place looks like it's about to get hit with a wrecking ball any second now.

AndrewJ
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 8:52:55 AM

Stopped at the Brookfield Firehouse Subs last night on my way home... in the storm. They are in fact open, and clearly still in a training phase. They had 4 people making sandwiches and 3 people at two registers. When you walk in they call out some kind of code number, I think it was "10-12" and then they all yell out "Welcome to Firehouse!" Some people probably dig that kind of thing, me, notsomuch. Especially when you're 1 of 2 people in the place. Instant awkward social situation. Anywho...

I got their "featured" Cheddar and Brisket, and the girlfriend got their play on a Turkey Club. Sandwiches apparently come in two sizes, Medium or Large. We ordered large, but then asked how big it was (I was scared we'd end up with $13 16" subs, like if you order a full from Cousins). Their large is 12"... not sure how big the Medium is. The sandwiches were pricey. Total on the two larges was just over $16. They offer chips and chili as sides, along with cookies and brownies as other add ons. We stuck with just the two sandwiches.

For the price, I was expecting to see a fully loaded monster of a sandwich when I got home. Not really the case. My sandwich had a decent amount of meat, but it wasn't enough to stop me from finishing the whole thing. The girlfriend was not as lucky. Her Club looked like a Subway sandwich with just meat and mayo, and mashed down. She said it was tasty, but there just wasn't much to it. I'd say the same about mine. Meat and sauce was tasty, bread was good, but no big WOW factor. Especially for the price.

If I had to compare them to something, I'd say their closest sibling would be Quizno's. Except in this case Quizno's would be the college graduate of the family, and Firehouse Subs is still living in Mom and Dad's basement wiping cheetos dust on their shirt. I'll probably give them another try in a few months once they've had a while to iron out any kinks, and to try another variety of sub. But as of now, can't imagine it'd be a regular stop.
Ted Anthony
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:26:36 AM

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing."
-Thomas Jefferson-

The founding fathers crossed the pond of corruption of decadent and weak mealy mouth tyrants to develop a new and better place. Someplace special that a little guy could muster up some power for himself and maybe carve out a nice life. They gave us some golden keys that we need to protect. The keys are the constitution. Almost everything in the constitution is about empowering people and leveling the playing field (Freedom of press, Right to bear arms etc.) One thing that I noticed is the right to bear arms is the 2nd amendment. Notice it wasn't some afterthought that they slipped in at the last minute. It wasn't the fourth amendment. It was the second thing on their mind. It was a very important key to the success of America. I honestly and firmly agree that the founding fathers MAINLY put this amendment into place to enabling the people to organize a militia system to deter a tyrannical government. A large thing on the minds of early Americans was freedom and preserving it. Honestly if George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were here today what do you think they would say? Their are side effects to everything. Drive a car you can die in a accident. Fly a plane you can crash. Have sex you can get aids. People have guns some die at the hands of people who abuse the right. On top of that the murder rate is half of what it was in 1980's. In my opinion this is what I firmly believe in.
Nancy
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:14:57 PM

What does this have to do with subs?

Hitchens’ Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
AndrewJ
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2013 12:41:47 PM

AndrewJ wrote:

Also noticed some empty space just South of Edwardo's on the corner of Bluemound and Hwy 100. Not sure if they're just staging road construction equipment there, or if there is something being built. Same thing with the rundown Excel Inn just South of the Wheaton Franciscan. That place looks like it's about to get hit with a wrecking ball any second now.

Went South on Hwy 100 for the first time in a while over the weekend, and sure enough, the Excel Inn is no more. Dirt field. You'd never know it was there.
Nancy
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 9:17:33 PM

AndrewJ wrote:
AndrewJ wrote:

Went South on Hwy 100 for the first time in a while over the weekend, and sure enough, the Excel Inn is no more. Dirt field. You'd never know it was there.

Wow. We actually stayed there when we first arrived in 'Tosa. The room was nice...comfortable, clean, attractive, etc. and it was conveniently located right off the freeway. We'd found it through AAA. There are very few hotels in 'Tosa, especially close to MCW which was where we wanted to be. The Radisson was out because they couldn't accommodate the Ryder truck and flatbed with station wagon that we had with us. That was the first question we asked when we called places. They said their parking lot was too small.

The best alternative was Forty Winks Inn, but they'd just had extensive flooding and were closed for cleaning. It was right after that period of flooding in 1998 that led to the demolition of all those houses near Hart Park. There was some kind of issue with the place over by Denny's, too...don't remember the particulars. That left Excel. If we'd known then what we know now, we would never have gone there. I'm not sure where we would have gone instead...just not there.