Tosa Town Square
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

<<Boards Main>>
Nancy
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:49:34 PM

Groups: Member

AndrewJ wrote:
Wow... that was an extremely entertaining read above. Thank you for sharing. Holy cow. It really is hard to picture, especially with the way times change so fast now. The fact that there could be entire swaths of people living in the US that could literally considered "primitive".

Especially when you consider that the Catskills are an hour's drive from NYC. It's a weird region. Driving toward Albany from NYC, one minute you're in one of the most developed, densely populated places in the world and the next minute you're in the middle of nowhere...not even a gas station or a restaurant to be found.

Hitchens’ Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
AndrewJ
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 8:22:18 AM

Wanted to dive in and post about The Walking Dead right away this morning while I have time.

Well, RIP Axle. I believe that was his name. Too bad, I thought for sure we were going down the path of a Carol love triangle between him and Darryl. Oh well.

Overall I liked the episode. A lot. It was slow for about the first 45min, but that last 1/4 really brought it home. There were just a few things I didn't like: Rick on his little spirit walk - the guy is completely off the reservation. Glenn - I appreciate him admirably stepping up in Rick's "absence", but what was he doing? Where did he go? They never really said... he just kind of sped off, and then pops back in at either the best or worst possible time, depending on how you look at it. Also, the thing with him and Maggie. I still don't get it. Now she's mad at him because he made her tell him what happened? He's mad at her because she gave up the prison? Like I said before, get over it you two.

As expected, I really like the Daryl and Merle buddy comedy in the woods. I thought it would last at least two or three episodes, but they wrapped it up pretty quick it seems. In pretty short order Daryl showed Merle he's not his whipping boy any more, pun not intended, since they gave us some family history there. Apparently they were both badly abused as kids. Explains a lot. We also found out that just before Rick showed up in season 1, Daryl and Merle were getting ready to rob and pillage the group. That was an somewhat interesting footnote. Made me think back to the first season. So, here we have Merle back at the prison, after saving Rick's absent minded butt. I can't wait to see how that goes. My guess is that after this attack by the Governor (with only 3 people assisting) the prison camp is going to be a bit more open minded about taking in some outside help. Just a hunch.

Now to the meat and potatoes of the episode... The Governor attack! Wow. A solid 15min of intense action there. Rick should have been toast. Wandering around outside the prison fence like a real nut job... If he wasn't THE main character, I would have though that was it for him. Then we had the van, affectionately referred to as a "zombie bomb" during the post episode talk show. I guess I'm still not 100% sure, but my initial reaction was that The Governor did not know about the van. He just seemed surprised by it. What did you think? Then the driver gets out and it covered head to toe in armor, so we don't know who was driving. I kind of wondered if it was Andrea... but that seems too unlikely. I hope we find out who it was, because that was THE moment of the episode. All in all, I wondered why The Governor's group pulled back. They had them completely on their heels. Also need to note Michionne... if anybody ever suggests she leave the camp again, they are nuts. She is a certified zombie killing machine. Darn near cleared that yard of walkers on her own.

The moment when Daryl and Merle popped up caught me by surprise. I was fully expecting Tyrese and his group. I wonder where they were? My guess is they'll be back in short order next week. I cannot wait to see next weeks episode. They really set things in motion. It looks like we get the scene with Carl telling Rick he shouldn't be the leader anymore... duh. And also Andrea's arrival at the prison. Now what will she do when she finds out The Governor lied to her about leaving the prison alone as long as they don't attack? We'll see I guess. And go figure, I'm travelling Sunday - Wednesday. So I may not be able to watch until I get back. Unless there is a way to download the episode... then I can watch on the plane. I don't know if TWC has that option though. I believe I'd have to buy the episode via Google Play.
Nancy
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 4:37:24 PM

I haven't watched, yet...can't believe I'm sick again. I'm going to drive one of my sons to the walk-in clinic at Brookfield Square in a few minutes...looks like he might have strep. Ugh. I was such a wreck this morning that I sliced a banana into my coffee. So I'll watch when I get home. And then I have to go to bed to get ready for an election...that's right...tomorrow is a judge election and we have to go to Roosevelt and sit there all day even though we probably won't get 100 voters...maybe 200.

Hitchens’ Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
AndrewJ
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:48:43 AM

Nancy wrote:
I haven't watched, yet...can't believe I'm sick again. I'm going to drive one of my sons to the walk-in clinic at Brookfield Square in a few minutes...looks like he might have strep. Ugh. I was such a wreck this morning that I sliced a banana into my coffee. So I'll watch when I get home. And then I have to go to bed to get ready for an election...that's right...tomorrow is a judge election and we have to go to Roosevelt and sit there all day even though we probably won't get 100 voters...maybe 200.

If you are sick can't you stay home?? I don't even know what's all on this ballot... just Supreme and County court primaries? I heard an expectation of a 10% turnout, which is up from what they would even normally expect. Exciting!

I have to say the image of one slicing a banana into a coffee mug is pretty funny. Smile Just one of those moments where you put both hands on the table, hang your head and laugh.

I'm fending off a small something (cold, sinus, etc... not sure what it wants to morph into) with everything I can think of. I'm leaving for Las Vegas on Sunday, and I REFUSE to get sick. I have money to lose, damnit! and I don't want anything holding me back! Smile
AndrewJ
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:16:16 AM

Welp... my declaration from yesterday didn't help. I'm full blown sick today. Had my own coffee/banana moment too. Tore open two little creamers at work, and proceeded to pour the first one into my coffee... except it was about 4" away from my cup. Ugh.
Nancy
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:44:09 PM

AndrewJ wrote:
Welp... my declaration from yesterday didn't help. I'm full blown sick today. Had my own coffee/banana moment too. Tore open two little creamers at work, and proceeded to pour the first one into my coffee... except it was about 4" away from my cup. Ugh.

Sorry to hear you're on the sick list, too.

This has been a terrible season for illness. My kids and I just seem to be going in circles. I did work yesterday. It wasn't too bad. I didn't cough on any ballots, either...just sat to the side, did paperwork, answered questions, etc.

So...I did enjoy the episode of Walking Dead.

Rick's behavior was annoying to say the least. For a minute, I was thinking I wouldn't mind if the zombies got him, but the threat certainly jolted him back to reality and I loved seeing Merle come to the rescue...maybe earning his keep in the process.

I wasn't sure what happened with Glenn...would have to re-watch to figure it out. I'm thinking he'd started out and then doubled back when he realized the prison was under attack. He wasn't wrong about attacking the Governor. The fact that Micchone agreed was good enough for me...she's too much a survivor to do something unnecessarily risky.

The continuing conflict between Glenn and Maggie was as tedious as Rick's journey through the wilderness. There's enough drama without post-apocalyptic lover's quarrels.

I'm really rooting for Carol and Darryl, so I was glad to see him return. Listening to Merle and Darryl's backstory, it struck me that this may be the best Darryl's life has been so far. It's probably the first time he's been part of a group of people who consider him an equal, worthy of respect, and with a woman who loves him. No wonder he feels loyal.

I agree that the Governor's attack might make Rick more open to increasing the ranks.

The Governor may have left under the assumption that the zombie bomb would take care of any survivors. I suppose it would have been risky for him and his posse to have gone any closer as the group inside the prison was clearly heavily armed. I also had the impression that the Governor did not expect the zombie bomb, though he seemed to know what it was.

Whatever other abilities they may have, the Woodbridge group does not seem to be as adept at close combat with zombies as some of the others...Micchone, for sure, but also the Atlanta survivors. Maybe they've been too sheltered. That may mean they also overestimate the effect of the zombies. Clearly, Micchone could slice through that truckload of zombies in no time and Daryl would use his bow to clean up the rest.

I also wondered who the driver of the zombie bomb might be. I don't think it was Andrea. It would be out of character. It seemed like a smallish person like a child or a woman. I thought of the scientist, as he's on the small side, but he seems to be retreating into his own little world...can't imagine him pulling something like that off.

Hope you feel better before you have to go out of town. You can buy episodes on Amazon, too. I haven't explored Google Play as I think my Kindle Fire is about as small as I want to go in terms of screen size.

AndrewJ
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:17:57 PM

Nancy wrote:

I also wondered who the driver of the zombie bomb might be. I don't think it was Andrea. It would be out of character. It seemed like a smallish person like a child or a woman. I thought of the scientist, as he's on the small side, but he seems to be retreating into his own little world...can't imagine him pulling something like that off.

Yeah, I don't think it was Andrea or the scientist. It seemed to me like when Andrea was questioning where The Governor was, he was already at the prison. But the person driving the truck, at least to me, seemed to be small with a female physique. I can't think of anybody else we've met that it would have been. All this thinking, and they may never tell us. Hahah.

Just as a note... realized that Game of Thrones comes back in just over a month. Boy, that's been FOREVER. I'd have to go back and look to see what even happened last season. At any rate, looks like we get 10 straight episodes starting March 31st. I'm guessing once that ends, True Blood will be back.
AndrewJ
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:57:59 PM

Was able to watch The Walking Dead on my flight home yesterday. It cost me $1.99 via Google, which I gladly paid. (Sidenote: Also watched Argo on the way home... excellent movie.)

I thought this was a very good episode. I actually restarted it a few minutes in because I thought I missed the REAL beginning. Not the case, they just jumped right into the action of everybody in the prison and Merle all locked up.

I loved Herschel yelling at Rick "get back here!" Excellent stuff. Because god knows what Rick was about to do. Actually, we do know, because just before Carl went outside to visit him, we caught Rick in the act again of scouring the forest for Lori. You could argue he was looking for snipers... but he wasn't. He was staring at the same clearing where he last saw her.

Andrea... what to make of her? I thought it was pretty gutsy of Carol to suggest she basically whore herself to the Governor one more time, then kill him. I found it even more odd that Andrea really didn't have a reaction to what she was suggesting. And furthermore, apparently thought about doing it. I need to go back and re-watch, but did the Governor wake up slightly when Andrea got out of bed? It seemed to me that he did. So if he now knows she came back on a mission to kill him and couldn't go through with it, boy oh boy is he going to put the hooks in on her now.

I liked the moment between Michionne and Andrea. Michionne really laid into her. Even though we don't really have any backstory between what all happened with the two of them for those months alone, it's clear Andrea was hurt by what was said.

To me the most intriguing element is now Tyrese and his group apparently joining Woodbury. Way to go, Rick. Tyrese was pretty much on repeat mode, saying the same thing to the Governor that he said to Rick. "We're loyal and willing to earn our keep." And now they also know how to get into the prison. Just a monumental screw up by Rick with them. I have a really hard time imagining Tyrese's group (minus the 2 angry white guys) fighting against the Atlanta survivors... but it sure seems that's what is about to happen.

This week should be a doozy. Rick, Michionne and... CARL, are apparently going to go on a "run". Which I believe means attack Woodbury? Should be some good action!
Nancy
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2013 10:15:21 PM

AndrewJ wrote:
Was able to watch The Walking Dead on my flight home yesterday. It cost me $1.99 via Google, which I gladly paid. (Sidenote: Also watched Argo on the way home... excellent movie.)

I thought this was a very good episode. I actually restarted it a few minutes in because I thought I missed the REAL beginning. Not the case, they just jumped right into the action of everybody in the prison and Merle all locked up.

I loved Herschel yelling at Rick "get back here!" Excellent stuff. Because god knows what Rick was about to do. Actually, we do know, because just before Carl went outside to visit him, we caught Rick in the act again of scouring the forest for Lori. You could argue he was looking for snipers... but he wasn't. He was staring at the same clearing where he last saw her.

Andrea... what to make of her? I thought it was pretty gutsy of Carol to suggest she basically whore herself to the Governor one more time, then kill him. I found it even more odd that Andrea really didn't have a reaction to what she was suggesting. And furthermore, apparently thought about doing it. I need to go back and re-watch, but did the Governor wake up slightly when Andrea got out of bed? It seemed to me that he did. So if he now knows she came back on a mission to kill him and couldn't go through with it, boy oh boy is he going to put the hooks in on her now.

I liked the moment between Michionne and Andrea. Michionne really laid into her. Even though we don't really have any backstory between what all happened with the two of them for those months alone, it's clear Andrea was hurt by what was said.

To me the most intriguing element is now Tyrese and his group apparently joining Woodbury. Way to go, Rick. Tyrese was pretty much on repeat mode, saying the same thing to the Governor that he said to Rick. "We're loyal and willing to earn our keep." And now they also know how to get into the prison. Just a monumental screw up by Rick with them. I have a really hard time imagining Tyrese's group (minus the 2 angry white guys) fighting against the Atlanta survivors... but it sure seems that's what is about to happen.

This week should be a doozy. Rick, Michionne and... CARL, are apparently going to go on a "run". Which I believe means attack Woodbury? Should be some good action!

Glad you got to see Walking Dead. I'm looking forward to Argo. I'd intended to see it before the Oscars (I watch with friends and it's more fun if you've seen the movies, but I always win the guessing game no matter what).

I enjoyed the episode, too...nice and suspenseful. I loved the addition of Merle to the mix...is there anyone in that group he hasn't either tried to kill or would've killed given the chance?

I also thought that The Governor woke up when Andrea got up. I was watching his face when she was standing over him and didn't see anything, but he may still have been watching and waiting. I imagine he was starting to see her as a threat even before she stood over him with a knife in her hand. Maybe he's trying to figure out how he can use her before he disposes of her.

I thought the consequences of Rick's craziness were evident in Tyrese's arrival at Woodbury, with his offer to help attack the prison. It was pretty clear that Carl and Hershel wanted them to stay, so the only reason they left was that they were scared away by Rick's meltdown. I didn't realize they'd gone entirely...I thought they'd retreated to another spot in the prison to wait for Rick to return to his senses. In any case...they're a threat to the prison folks, to be sure, but I can't see Tyrese going along with The Governor's program and I can't see him gunning down women and children.

I liked Carol's suggestion for Andrea. I imagine everything she saw and heard is playing with her head. I believe she trusts The Governor and has genuine concern for the town, but she also knows the Atlanta survivors and Micchone pretty well...must have been hard for her to hear Micchone tell her that The Governor tried to kill her and Carol urging her to kill her lover.

Daryl has always been badass, but he seems to have taken it to a new level recently...maybe he's added some cool or some sexy to the badass...I don't know what it is, but he's become the one character that I want to see still standing when the curtain falls on The Walking Dead...I could envision Daryl, Carol, Carl and the baby starting a life together once the disease is cured and everybody can get on with their lives.

I can't wait to see the group on their run to Woodbury.

I've been keeping up with Justified and The Americans. I enjoyed this week's Justified and last week's The Americans...the one dealing with the Reagan assassination attempt and all the "what ifs." It looks like the snake handler and the barmaid were diversions (unless the characters pop up, again, but we only have fours episodes left).

I've been impressed with The Americans. I was in my 30s during the Reagan era, when the Cold War had its last hurrah, so I remember it well. It's kind of interesting watching the characters square off against each other, knowing that the Cold War and the Soviet Union will be history in just ten years.

AndrewJ
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 9:27:08 AM

I did watch The Walking Dead last night, and will post on that later. Just wanted to chime in on The Americans and Justified first, since I kind of caught up on those yesterday.

Justified
I agree, it does seem that the snake handler/cult church was nothing more than an early distraction. Seems kind of odd actually if you think back on it. What point did that really serve? I guess the disappearance of Ellie May... that story is still ongoing.

I really liked the scene where Raylan found out Arlo had been attacked in the prison and was likely not going to pull through. Some great acting there by Olyphant. You could see that Raylan was struggling with being upset by the news, and at the same time being surprised that he was upset by the news.

What's being lost in the story, at least by me, is the fact that Boyd's brother is setting up an attempt to kill him. That's a pretty major subplot. You know Boyd will likely come away unscathed, but does that mean his brother is done on the series? I also don't imagine the Colton character making it past the season.

Overall I've enjoyed this season. I think it's easily right up there with the best, if not the best so far. I saw in the grocery store over the weekend that Entertainment Weekly had the show ranked the #1 series on TV. Good for them. I still get the feeling not as many people are watching as should be.

The Americans
I'm not fully caught up on this one yet. Just watched the Reagan episode last night, so the most recent one is still out there. I thought the hour was fantastic. I was 3 when that happened, so not much world-awareness going on at that time. Haha. I found it very interesting the take on our government leadership. Was that really an issue at the time, Alexander Haig saying he was in control? What was the American public's general reaction to that? I found it to be totally believable that the first thought that came to the Russian's was "this is a coup". If you put yourself in their shoes, with all the things they'd seen in their country, why wouldn't they think that? It was summed up perfectly by Phillip when he said the last few times Russian leaders had died, it was completely hidden from the public for weeks, and that "things are not like that here". He has a pretty solid grip on what American culture is, whereas Elizabeth appears to just be a die hard Commie. Again, summed up great by Phillip when he said he felt their role was to prevent a war from happening, whereas Elizabeth is more of the mindset that they're already at war and she wants to make sure Russia wins.

Also in the scene where Phillip stated what he believed their roles were, I liked his description of the Russian's nuclear "system", and how it was not as stable as the U.S. He almost made it sound like they had hamsters running on wheels to keep things powered up over there. Again, just shows that he seems to be very self aware and takes things for what they are. Whereas Elizabeth is completely awash in the USSR kool-aid. And with that said, I absolutely think she is playing Phillip. I could see them ending up in a spy vs spy scenario as this story moves forward. I guess it would be pretty easy for her to just turn Phillip in and say he's a defection risk, but at the same time she might just think it's better to keep him close and glean off him what she can.

All in all, I like the series so far. I'm glad I jumped on board!
AndrewJ
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 10:47:25 AM

Where is the week going? Meant to post on this 2 days ago...

The Walking Dead
I reallllly liked this episode. Although, there were a couple things I want to be nit-picky on. Such as: I thought they were nervous that the Governor would have all incoming and outgoing roads blocked off/patrolled? I guess they didn't entertain that idea as valid? Otherwise, odd time for a road trip. And the second thing... It took me a bit to realize that they had traveled back to Rick/Carl's hometown. Just exactly how far away is that from the prison?? I would think that in the post zombie apocalypse world, you would probably limit long distance travel. Lets say to maybe 2 hours or so in any direction. Thought being if something happens you want to be within walking distance of getting home. That said, 2 hours is a generous distance. Imagine walking back to Tosa from Chicago. Hahaha. Now to my point... you're trying to tell me that there is a major prison within a reasonable driving distance from Rick's hometown, and he didn't know about it? They had to stumble upon it?? He's a cop! Of all people he should know about a freaking prison that's only a few hours away!

Again, totally nit-picking there. But those were some things that interrupted my attention mid-episode.

Apparently Rick is still not entertaining the idea of any outsiders... we found that out pretty quick. Just speeding past (and then driving off from) a completely able bodied male walking down the road. Not to mention a guy that's apparently been surviving on the run. With an impending all out war on his hands, I'd think you'd at least talk to the guy and see what his deal is. But, nope.

I was very excited to see Morgan again. I KNEW we'd end up seeing him again at some point. As soon as the sniper appeared, I wondered if it would be him. It sounds like he's had a tough go since Rick left them. He lost his son to none other than his own wife-zombie who he couldn't kill in the pilot. And as a result, appears to have gone completely mad. I think in this episode Morgan was supposed to be a current example of where Rick himself was headed. Maybe that is the catalyst for Rick to snap out of his funk. Still, even with Morgan gone nuts, he had a very lucid point when he told Rick eventually he'd "be torn apart by teeth or bullets". Hard to argue with that.

Nice to finally meet Michionne! Holy cow. I think she said more words in this episode than in all the others combined. Glad she is now part of the group, officially. He little chat with Rick before they got in the car was great. "I used to talk to my dead boyfriend... it happens".

Well, now the group has plenty of weapons, at least for the number of people they have. So I'm guessing now we're heading for the all out war. Looks like this week Rick and the Governor actually have a sit down? Seems like a terrible idea, but that's this season's Rick for you!
Nancy
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 11:24:21 PM

I liked the Walking Dead episode, too. The impending war with the Governor was clearly flickering around the edges, but thus seemed to be a much needed opportunity to do some character development and to get Rick back on track.

I loved seeing Micchone and Carl bond over the mission to rescue the photo and pick up a crib in the process. I'm glad the writers finally decided to humanize her...much overdue. My favorite part was that she was so enthused over that tacky cat sculpture. She went from being an inscrutable, badass zombie killing machine to a young woman who misses her boyfriend and has bad taste in home decor.

The subplot with the hitchhiker was strange and disturbing. I wondered whether Rick's attempts to rescue Morgan might have made him think twice about leaving the hitchhiker if the guy hadn't been toast when they made the return trip. I agree with you that there might also have been strategic reasons to help the hitchhiker. If he'd survived that long, he would have been an asset...unless he was a refugee from Woodbury. Even then, he might have been as useful to Rick's group as Tyrese will be to The Governor.

I was glad to see Morgan again, even if his story is a sad one. I guess he's surviving day by day just like everyone else...interesting to see his map and his timeline. Sad that he had so much faith in Rick, but he missed Rick's attempts to connect with him.

I hadn't thought about the incongruity between Rick's being a lawman and the fact that he seemed unaware that there was a prison in the area. I really can't account for that. When I worked in the NYS prison system, I knew the location of all the other state prisons as well as the local (Buffalo and Erie County) lockups and the jails in NYC, which is where most of our inmates came from. If there had been a zombie apocalypse in Buffalo, I'd have been able to find Attica and Wende (the other state max in the area) plus the local lock-ups with no problem. Sheriffs typically do a lot of transport, which means that he would most likely have dropped inmates off and picked them up. Anyway...it's a quibble. I usually don't obsess over those kinds of details if everything else is working.

A quick note on The Americans...I don't remember Alexander Haig's declaration of authority having been such a big deal. I'm sure it meant something entirely different to us than would have been the case for any KGB agents in the area. We're accustomed to orderly transfer of power here in the U.S.. Most adults at the time could still recall Kennedy's death, which had taken place less than 20 years earlier. I remember being concerned mostly with the question of whether Reagan would survive. I wasn't a huge supporter, but nobody wants to see an assassination no matter what. However, I understood that the VP would be sworn in immediately if he died.

I'm a little behind on the series...mostly enjoying the relationship between Phillip and Elizabeth...wondered whether Claudia (aka Mags Bennett) might try to drive a wedge between the two of them.

AndrewJ
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 8:51:27 AM

Nancy wrote:

The subplot with the hitchhiker was strange and disturbing. I wondered whether Rick's attempts to rescue Morgan might have made him think twice about leaving the hitchhiker if the guy hadn't been toast when they made the return trip. I agree with you that there might also have been strategic reasons to help the hitchhiker. If he'd survived that long, he would have been an asset...unless he was a refugee from Woodbury. Even then, he might have been as useful to Rick's group as Tyrese will be to The Governor.

My thoughts exactly on that. The guy had clearly been surviving in the wild for who knows how long, he could have been another Darryl type. And you see how valuable he is now. What would be the harm in pulling over and talking to the guy? Heck, you have a whole jail. Take him back and lock him in a cell until you can figure him out, like you've done with everybody else since you started squatting there.

Nancy wrote:

A quick note on The Americans...I don't remember Alexander Haig's declaration of authority having been such a big deal. I'm sure it meant something entirely different to us than would have been the case for any KGB agents in the area. We're accustomed to orderly transfer of power here in the U.S.. Most adults at the time could still recall Kennedy's death, which had taken place less than 20 years earlier. I remember being concerned mostly with the question of whether Reagan would survive. I wasn't a huge supporter, but nobody wants to see an assassination no matter what. However, I understood that the VP would be sworn in immediately if he died.

I'm a little behind on the series...mostly enjoying the relationship between Phillip and Elizabeth...wondered whether Claudia (aka Mags Bennett) might try to drive a wedge between the two of them.

Interesting. That's what I would have thought, but obviously wouldn't know for sure. Then they did an excellent job portraying the Russian/KGB perspective. Like I said before, with what they knew of their own government, it certainly wouldn't be a stretch for them to think all hell was about to break loose.

Mags Bennett! Good call on that. I knew she looked familiar, but couldn't place it. Also agree there. She's very chummy with Elizabeth, but treats Phillip as a suspect. I'm sure that'll get more intense as they move forward.

One another note... not sure if you started or intended to watch, I think I brought it up a while back... The Following. Holy moly. Just a great series so far. I believe they're 8 episodes into a 16 episode run. Every single one has literally felt like it could be the finale of a lesser series. Action packed. And Kevin Bacon is great. It reminds me of LOST when it first started.
zephyr
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 9:28:03 AM

Okay, I've been watching The Walking Dead, and for the most part I have been following everything going on. But can you answer something for me? The last episode was called Clear, and in the end Morgan says he decided he needs to be clear, or get clear, or something like that. It isn't clear to me from watching the episode what clear means (oops, a pun). Do you know? What did I miss?
AndrewJ
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 9:51:43 AM

zephyr wrote:
Okay, I've been watching The Walking Dead, and for the most part I have been following everything going on. But can you answer something for me? The last episode was called Clear, and in the end Morgan says he decided he needs to be clear, or get clear, or something like that. It isn't clear to me from watching the episode what clear means (oops, a pun). Do you know? What did I miss?

Hi zephyr,
That part was kind of unclear... no pun intended. But I took it to mean like clear out the town of walkers. It looked like, from the drawn map, Morgan had been going home to home, business to business, and clearing them out. In some cases by burning them down. That had become his sole focus/obsession. At least that's the way I took it.
Nancy
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 6:24:36 PM

AndrewJ wrote:
Mags Bennett! Good call on that. I knew she looked familiar, but couldn't place it. Also agree there. She's very chummy with Elizabeth, but treats Phillip as a suspect. I'm sure that'll get more intense as they move forward.

I've been watching Margo Martindale's recent career as she's a friend of a friend. When she lived in NYC, she was a neighbor of one of my good friends and they used to chat sitting on their stoops or passing on the street (both very friendly people). He'd heard about her Emmy, but he's not a TV watcher, so I've been letting him know what she's up to as far as TV goes. So, I knew she was going to be in The Americans.

AndrewJ wrote:
One another note... not sure if you started or intended to watch, I think I brought it up a while back... The Following. Holy moly. Just a great series so far. I believe they're 8 episodes into a 16 episode run. Every single one has literally felt like it could be the finale of a lesser series. Action packed. And Kevin Bacon is great. It reminds me of LOST when it first started.

I've thought about it. I was trying to limit the addition many new shows to my viewing schedule, but maybe I can squeeze that one in.

Also...I just learned that The Killing will be back for another season. It was cancelled, but the network has resurrected it....not sure when it starts again.

Nancy
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 6:26:45 PM

AndrewJ wrote:
zephyr wrote:

Hi zephyr,
That part was kind of unclear... no pun intended. But I took it to mean like clear out the town of walkers. It looked like, from the drawn map, Morgan had been going home to home, business to business, and clearing them out. In some cases by burning them down. That had become his sole focus/obsession. At least that's the way I took it.

That's what I thought, too, as he was out pulling walkers off the stakes and piling them up as Rick, Carl and Micchone walked past that walled area.

AndrewJ
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 8:12:41 AM

Nancy wrote:

Also...I just learned that The Killing will be back for another season. It was cancelled, but the network has resurrected it....not sure when it starts again.

Oh really?? Back on AMC, or is it going the way of Damages and will just be on Netflix?
AndrewJ
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 11:33:04 AM

The Walking Dead
Well, last night was the first sort of "Meh" episode for me. It was good, but not as good as most others this season. You could see what they were going for right away, being a demonstration that both the prison group and the Woodbury group are one in the same. Darryl and Martinez bonding over killing walkers and cigarettes. Herschel and Milton bonding and joking about medical info. The only real difference being the particular leader they are beholden to.

The scenes from the prison this week were almost nothing more than filler. In particular the Glenn/Maggie scene. I thought for sure we were heading for a classic horror movie scene there: Two kids sneak off for a romp, and next thing you know somebody dies because they weren't paying attention. Actually surprised nothing like that did happen.

I guess I would have liked some more tension or drama behind Rick and The Governor meeting. It just seemed too quaint I guess. I was a little disappointed that Rick seemed to even be entertaining the offer at the end of the episode. Initially it seemed like Rick walked away KNOWING the Governor was full of s---. That even if he turned over Michionne, he'd just renege on the deal and come after Ricks group regardless. Who at that point would be just another member down. Not to mention probably their best fighter (sorry, Darryl). Instead we ended up with Rick, again, looking for someone to tell him what to do.

I wonder what Rick was thinking as he sat there listening to the Governor recount all the drama with Shane, and even the questioned paternity of the baby. I mean... jeez Andrea! What DIDN'T she tell this guy? And then there is Andrea herself, getting sent out of the room by the Governor like she was an annoying kid trying to sit at the adult table. When is she going to get it? My guess is that ultimately she'll be the undoing of the Governor. But right now she looks terrible.

I'm hoping ultimately this episode was a setup for a big final 3 hours. Usually the episode right before the finale is the setup hour where nothing major happens. We're probably going to get that too, but, just hoping. Smile
Nancy
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 4:48:11 PM

AndrewJ wrote:
Nancy wrote:

Oh really?? Back on AMC, or is it going the way of Damages and will just be on Netflix?

I think it will be on AMC, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also...I should say right now that TTS is acting funny today. This is a kind of a test post. I can read your Walking Dead post, but may not be able to respond. The pages are loading really, really slowly (and I know it's not my Internet connection as everything else is pretty zippy) and the formatting is sometimes off...like images and headings might be missing.