Tosa Town Square
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

<<Boards Main>>
prodigal son
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 1:57:46 AM

Groups: Member

Got a meat grinder for Christmas..........what a blast ! Cutting my own blends....80 bucks roughly....is anyone else into blending there own meats. This week...picked up chicken breasts at Piggly Wiggly for $1.39 per lb. and nearly boneless pork spare ribs for 0.99$ per pound.............this thing just crushes my old meat grinder for quality of the finished product...and for about 80 bucks. Loving it. For the price of sausage meat these days....what a deal.
2rottieguy
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 1:14:51 PM

I have had meat grinders for years and I would never give it up. A good burger blend is beef short ribs, beef shank, chuck roast and bacon. I add lamb to the blend when I make chevops.
You will notice it is easier to grind fatty meats if it is semi frozen.
Poultry will never make its way into my grinder.

The dickens you say.
prodigal son
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 12:41:26 AM

2rottieguy wrote:
I have had meat grinders for years and I would never give it up. A good burger blend is beef short ribs, beef shank, chuck roast and bacon. I add lamb to the blend when I make chevops.

I'm going to have to try that blend. But.............I've got to give a thumbs up to poultry in the grinder. Did the $1.39$ per pound chicken breasts...with a bit of chicken fat....and it made some incredible chicken patties. Great on subs ! The neat thing is.............nothing goes to waste when you have a meat grinder and a freezer.
Swamp Gas
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:31:23 PM

prodigal son wrote:
Got a meat grinder for Christmas..........what a blast ! Cutting my own blends....80 bucks roughly....is anyone else into blending there own meats. This week...picked up chicken breasts at Piggly Wiggly for $1.39 per lb. and nearly boneless pork spare ribs for 0.99$ per pound.............this thing just crushes my old meat grinder for quality of the finished product...and for about 80 bucks. Loving it. For the price of sausage meat these days....what a deal.

I purchased one a year ago and so far have done breakfast sausages and venison grinds from three deer this last fall. This winter I'm committed to making fresh Italians and brats. I have something on the order of four huge pork shoulders in the freezer. Just need to find the time...

2rottieguy wrote:

Rottie...

I still haven't prepared your chevaps. I was hoping for Packer Super Bowl but that ain't happening. First party of the new year and they're coming out of the freezer for the grill. The local grocery up-north makes these awesome Chicago Rolls that are perfectly sized.

Would have had them at deer camp but you know, too much food, too much of a good thing, we might get spoiled...

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together
prodigal son
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 1:50:45 AM

2rottieguy wrote:

So......is it all about the fats in the particular meats you chose ? It's my understanding I probably want to do about 80% meat and 20% fat....roughly ? I've tried to do this in the past and it seems the more flavorful the fat.....like from good quality steak and such..the better the burger ? Is that what your meat selection is producing ? Good, and flavorful fat ? Kind of curious if you ever just asked your butcher to buy the fat at a decent price....or do they look at you like you're from Mars ?
2rottieguy
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 10:11:41 AM

prodigal son wrote:
2rottieguy wrote:

So......is it all about the fats in the particular meats you chose ? It's my understanding I probably want to do about 80% meat and 20% fat....roughly ? I've tried to do this in the past and it seems the more flavorful the fat.....like from good quality steak and such..the better the burger ? Is that what your meat selection is producing ? Good, and flavorful fat ? Kind of curious if you ever just asked your butcher to buy the fat at a decent price....or do they look at you like you're from Mars ?

The short ribs and beef shank meat is all close to the bone. I did forget to mention that I used ribeyes in the mixture also. The only fat I have ever asked for from the meat counter guys at Sentry was pig fat. With these factory farm raised pigs there seems to be less fat on them, so when making sausage I sometimes ask for mor fat.

The dickens you say.
prodigal son
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 11:29:10 PM

http://www.wauwatosanow.com/blogs/communityblogs/188521391.html

http://www.wauwatosanow.com/blogs/communityblogs/188522571.html

Just found this on your blog Tom.....great stuff....nice industrial grinder ! I know rottie has mentioned he won't put poultry in his grinder, but you two should try grinding up some boneless chicken breasts in your grinders, nothing but breasts, then make patties like burgers.....awesome. Low fat, tastes great, and you can season if you like to play around. Boneless chicken breast burgers $1.65lb.....beef....quite a bit more. Oddly enough, the chicken breasts hold together without any added fat.
Gas Pains
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 5:16:29 PM

prodigal son wrote:

Just found this on your blog Tom.....great stuff....nice industrial grinder ! I know rottie has mentioned he won't put poultry in his grinder, but you two should try grinding up some boneless chicken breasts in your grinders, nothing but breasts, then make patties like burgers.....awesome. Low fat, tastes great, and you can season if you like to play around. Boneless chicken breast burgers $1.65lb.....beef....quite a bit more. Oddly enough, the chicken breasts hold together without any added fat.

Thanks for reading Prod.

I stumbled across any number of places selling pheasant and cognac sausage on the web. Sounds fantastic. However, there is nary a recipe to be found. So I've been thinking about reverse-engineering the product and experimenting with chicken. Once I have the ingredients down-pat I'll have another use for all of those pheasants the dogs and I kill.

Presuming you'll still allow me to use a semi-auto 12 ga. to kill them...

It's nice to be nice to the nice - Frank Burns (M*A*S*H)
prodigal son
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 10:27:26 PM

Gas Pains wrote:
prodigal son wrote:

Thanks for reading Prod.

I stumbled across any number of places selling pheasant and cognac sausage on the web. Sounds fantastic. However, there is nary a recipe to be found. So I've been thinking about reverse-engineering the product and experimenting with chicken. Once I have the ingredients down-pat I'll have another use for all of those pheasants the dogs and I kill.

Presuming you'll still allow me to use a semi-auto 12 ga. to kill them...

Just keep your dogs away from your guns.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/police-dog-accidentally-shoots-gun-during-chase-194540217.html
http://www.mid-day.com/news/2013/feb/280213-dog-accidentally-shoots-owner-in-the-leg.htm
http://www.wmctv.com/story/6869430/memphis-man-recovering-after-dog-accidentally-shoots-him-in-the-back
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/weird-wide-web/dog-shoots-owner-billy-brown-withlacoochee-river-electric

Or...................maybe a little hunter safety course for dogs ? But definitely give the dog some raw meat when you're making sausage so he stays your best friend, best friends don't tend to shoot each other. Open-mouthed
2rottieguy
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 1:06:03 AM

Prod, if you insist on putting chicken thru your grinder at least use the parts that have some flavor. The thighs and legs.

"Or...................maybe a little hunter safety course for dogs ? But definitely give the dog some raw meat when you're making sausage so he stays your best friend, best friends don't tend to shoot each other. " Doe's this include the dickster Dick Chaney?

Swamp, how is that cooler doing? I'm going to make some hungarian brats this weekend and I have some Vietnamese rooster sauce sausage in the freezer with your name on it.

The dickens you say.
Swamp Gas
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:16:09 PM

2rottieguy wrote:
Swamp, how is that cooler doing? I'm going to make some hungarian brats this weekend and I have some Vietnamese rooster sauce sausage in the freezer with your name on it.

I have some black bear smoked summer with your name on it. Want some veni? If so, drop me an email and let me know steaks or grinds. Or both?

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together
2rottieguy
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:03:09 AM

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I don't follow this section that much since it got highjacked. I sent an you an Email.

The dickens you say.
prodigal son
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 1:34:27 AM

Just a little tip off for the meat grinder people, Piggly Wiggly on Hyw 100 and National has pork shoulders for .99 per pound. You don't get too much better then that. Seems like a perfect meat to fat blend, bought one and ground it up tonight, great flavor. Hope your reading Rottie....seems right down your alley. Thanks for the tips in the past, wanted to send one your way....Gas...you too.
Swamp Gas
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 8:35:49 PM

prodigal son wrote:
Just a little tip off for the meat grinder people, Piggly Wiggly on Hyw 100 and National has pork shoulders for .99 per pound. You don't get too much better then that. Seems like a perfect meat to fat blend, bought one and ground it up tonight, great flavor. Hope your reading Rottie....seems right down your alley. Thanks for the tips in the past, wanted to send one your way....Gas...you too.

Thanks. Rottie already emailed the good news the other day.

2rottieguy
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2013 2:43:14 PM

Ml latest blend for burgers 4 lbs sirloin tip (on sale at piggly wiggly abpout 3 weeks ago 2.99 a lb), 1 lb bacon and 1 lb of swamps ground venison. ground it all up and then mixed in 1 container of gorganzola cheese. Grilled to medium served on a bun with leaf lettuce, tomato, red onion, mayo and colby cheese. Im thinking my next try will be a corned beef burger maybe a 2 to 1 ratio of regular ground beef to corned beef.

The dickens you say.
2rottieguy
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 10:32:01 AM

Piggly wiggly is having another 4 day meat sale. I picked up a whole sirloin tip roast (in the cyrovac bag untrimmed for an extra .30 off per lb.) and a boneless whole ribeye. Plus there is a coupon for .17 off a gallon of gas if you spent $50.00 or more. You have to have their card.

The dickens you say.
Swamp Gas
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2013 5:27:37 PM

Patrick Floyd is a chef in Sturgeon Bay and he publishes a recipe in his weekly column in the Door County Advocate.

Lately he's been all about burgers...

prodigal son
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 2:17:21 PM

Mixed about 33% fatty pork with my 67% less fatty rump roast.....ground and made some awesome burgers with it, pork and beef mix creates an interesting flavor. (Bumping the robot off the site)