Tosa Town Square
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

<<Boards Main>>
AndrewJ
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:39:04 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/24/2008
Posts: 899
Location: Wauwatosa
Continuation of this thread:
http://www.wauwatosatownsquare.com/CommunityForum.aspx?g=posts&m=65021&#65021

Beware possible spoilers the more you read if you are not current on these shows!



Nancy wrote:
I fall asleep during TV shows, too...even good ones.

I watched the first episode of Game of Thrones. I like it so far. Before I watch the second episode, I'm going to check HBO's website to see who everybody is. I had to do that with The Wire, too. It helped. I may also have to read synopses of the episodes until I figure out what's going on as that isn't readily apparent. I have trouble with shows in which people have heavy accents of one kind of another. It adds to the confusion if I can't understand what they're saying.

I think that Stanley and his associates will be getting more attention. They're focusing on a particular suspect at this point, but I don't think he'll will be the one. The ripple effect of the crime is one of the show's themes so the people affected, from Rosie's brothers to Linda's fiancée, are part of the story. I think the ripples will expand, more people will be involved, and more will be known about Rosie's life as the show progresses.


I agree with you 100% that Bennett won't end up being the guy. I think he's just a regular old scumbag... but not a murdering scumbag. I'm a little sad, because after the pilot he is the one I pegged my #1 suspect. Oh well. One of my, and probably everyone elses, rules of thumb for shows like this is that if they point too hard in one direction, you should look somewhere else. That's why I never suspected the skateboard kid (Chris?) or Jasper to begin with.

How about that scene with Stanley Larsen in the auto parts store restroom? Wow. I've been wondering when that guy was finally going to truly break down; he's been holding it together in an almost unhuman like fashion. That aside, the scene was very powerful... good for him as an actor. There is no way anyone who has lost someone close could watch that scene and not have their stomach drop.

My guess is that this Sunday's episode will not go well for Mr. Bennett. At the very least I'm thinking he's going to catch a beating.


Over to Game of Thrones.... I've found that I can remember the characters names/places in a series better the more I read and discuss them. I never had any trouble with LOST or True Blood because I was always reading forums, and for each of those shows I had/have a friend I would/will e-mail back and forth with regarding. That seems to work the best for me.

The only problem with reading True Blood forums is that there is a large fanboy contingent who will constantly spill or mix up info from the books with info from the series. Same thing is going on with Game of Thrones. It appears that most on the forums have read the books that the series originates from, so they are lightyears ahead in the character knowledge department. There isn't really any talk of who is who, because they already have that down pat. I wish twop would have a "for beginners" thread. Haha.

All that aside, episode two was pretty good. I think I was confusing myself on who was who because my brain would not initially process that yes, that was in fact brother and sister doing the deed at the end of episode 1. My first thought was "Wait...so, they aren't brother and sister? Then who is that? I'm confused." But, after a little research, I'm up to speed. I think. Smile
Nancy
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:02:23 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/13/2007
Posts: 10,911
Location: East Side Wauwatosa
I agree that Brent Sexton's performance as Stanley was awesome. It brought tears to my eyes. It did, as you say, evoke feelings I've had in response to the losses in my life. I can also relate to Mitch's behavior...the answering machine scene, the bathtub scene, and last night's cereal moment. I don't think that I've ever seen another TV show deal with grief in such depth and with such sensitivity.

Speaking of the cereal moment...I really started to like candidate Richmond when he walked up to Mitch in the supermarket and made the decision not to exploit her for political gain, but to tell her something he thought she needed to hear. I think that he's going to become one of the unintended victims of the murder. He's shooting a campaign commercial with a guy who's the focus of a murder investigation. Even if Bennett is cleared as a murder suspect and even if he didn't have an affair with Rosie, he'll probably lose his job. The appearance of impropriety with a student will be enough, I think. In any case, there will be publicity about Bennett and Richmond's youth basketball program will be tainted.

I know that some forums are talking about suspects. I couldn't begin to guess. The writers seem to be taking turns focusing on peripheral characters, like Belko (loved that he rescued those sheets and washed them), while others recede to the background.

I keep wondering whether there will be new characters and new possibilities. It's looking like Rosie (like most 17 years olds) had a life of which her parents were unaware. I suspect we'll be seeing more of that life in the weeks to come. One interesting clue is the expensive shoes. They couldn't possibly have come from Bennett. There's no way a school teacher with a baby on the way could afford shoes like that. Jasper might have enough money to buy her the shoes, but he doesn't seem to have cared enough about her to shower her with expensive gifts. So there's still somebody out there with lots of money and a connection to Rosie.

Re Game of Thrones...I'll probably read up on the characters and then tackle the second episode later this week. I was also somewhat puzzled by the sex scene at the end...wondered whether the couple were brother and sister. I'm also watching The Borgias, which has hints of incest. I believe it's an accepted historical fact that Lucrezia Borgia and her brother Cesare were lovers. They were supposed to have had a child together. The show suggests a relationship without being explicit. I guess that's the new frontier on TV...casual, consensual incest.

I've seen a few discussions about True Blood...most have been kind of superficial and adolescent. They seem to focus either on how faithful the show is to the books or on the relative hotness of the male characters. I saw an Entertainment Weekly/Comic Con interview with cast members in which Stephen Moyer said that only about 5% of fans have read the books. I guess it's a vocal 5%. The books may be highly entertaining (4 1/2 stars on Amazon), but they aren't great literature. It's not like they're taking liberties with Huckleberry Finn or The Great Gatsby. I'm happy to let Alan Ball take the story in any direction he'd like.

TWOP is even more fun than it used to be. When I used to frequent the site, it was just recaps (often quite spirited and funny) of a few select shows and some forums. They've expanded considerably with more reviews, reacps, forums, and basic information.

Well, my TV event for tonight is the final episode of Friday Night Lights...another great TV series. I couldn't wait for NBC to roll out the final season, so I got the DVDs from Netflix and have watched all but the final episode. I wanted to savor my goodbyes to Tami and Coach Taylor and the East Dillon Lions. It'll be like leaving home all over again.

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.



Hitchens’ Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
AndrewJ
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:45:45 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/24/2008
Posts: 899
Location: Wauwatosa
Nancy wrote:
I agree that Brent Sexton's performance as Stanley was awesome. It brought tears to my eyes. It did, as you say, evoke feelings I've had in response to the losses in my life. I can also relate to Mitch's behavior...the answering machine scene, the bathtub scene, and last night's cereal moment. I don't think that I've ever seen another TV show deal with grief in such depth and with such sensitivity.


I agree. I think they've been able to achieve this so remarkably due to the pace of the show, which you've discussed a couple of times. The series moves forward like molasses in winter, which normally would be construed as a negative, but in this case it certainly is not. They have the ability to develop every single character at this pace, and the actors they have in place are phenomenal. A normal series might have two or three main characters that they really dive into... The Killing has probably already surpassed double digits in that same regard.

Nancy wrote:
Speaking of the cereal moment...I really started to like candidate Richmond when he walked up to Mitch in the supermarket and made the decision not to exploit her for political gain, but to tell her something he thought she needed to hear. I think that he's going to become one of the unintended victims of the murder. He's shooting a campaign commercial with a guy who's the focus of a murder investigation. Even if Bennett is cleared as a murder suspect and even if he didn't have an affair with Rosie, he'll probably lose his job. The appearance of impropriety with a student will be enough, I think. In any case, there will be publicity about Bennett and Richmond's youth basketball program will be tainted.

I know that some forums are talking about suspects. I couldn't begin to guess. The writers seem to be taking turns focusing on peripheral characters, like Belko (loved that he rescued those sheets and washed them), while others recede to the background.

I keep wondering whether there will be new characters and new possibilities. It's looking like Rosie (like most 17 years olds) had a life of which her parents were unaware. I suspect we'll be seeing more of that life in the weeks to come. One interesting clue is the expensive shoes. They couldn't possibly have come from Bennett. There's no way a school teacher with a baby on the way could afford shoes like that. Jasper might have enough money to buy her the shoes, but he doesn't seem to have cared enough about her to shower her with expensive gifts. So there's still somebody out there with lots of money and a connection to Rosie.


I agree with your assessment on Richmond. Unless there is a dramatic swing or yet untold event (crazier things have certainly happened) he seems to be set up to the play the old "nice guys finish last" role. The honest politician who doesn't have the ability to play dirty enough to win. Although they did show he has a little bit of a hardball side to him last week in his interaction with the union head. But he had to be severely double-crossed for it to come out.

I was wondering the same thing about new characters being introduced, one of which would end up being the murderer. I don't see that really happening at this point. We are, what? Almost a 1/3 of the way through the series? I think to introduce a completely new character past this point would cheapen the experience and payoff for the viewer. I think that we have met the killer, but maybe not necessarily gotten their backstory, or dealt exclusively with them yet. I have my eye on some people who I think we will hear more about yet:

Richmonds Campaign Advisor/Lover - While she's played a role in every episode, we don't really know anything about her yet. Other than the obvious fact she has no trouble sleeping her way to certain goals. To me, she appears to be the most shady character of all, and is playing Richmond like a fiddle.

The Billionaire Mark Cuban-esque Guy - That guy has some kind of backstory we need to hear about too. All we know so far is that he has essentially unlimited cash resources, he wants to leverage Richmond to build a stadium, and he reeeaaallly has it out for the current Mayor. They never said why though... at least that I picked up on.

The Mayor - We've learned more about him than the other two listed above, but I think there is a lot more behind him. He's your typical dirty politician character, willing to do any/everything to get what he wants. And he appears to be very good at playing the angles. I think he is going to get a lot more involved by the time this thing is all said and done.

Holder - Boy would it take some kind of storyline to have him involved in Rosy's killing... but at the same time, I think we are going to learn a lot more about him. It was alluded to in I think the second episode by the skateboard kid that Holder is a meth head, or at least a recently recovered one. And clearly he's not above shady detective work to get the job done. The scene with him and the two high school girls smoking the, as we later found out, faux pot... boy did he come off as a creep.

The only issue I have in actually suspecting any of these people as the killer... I don't picture any of them (minus Holder) charging through the swampy woods after a 17 year old girl with the intentions of killing her. I can picture all of them (again, minus Holder) being the puppet master behind such an event, but not the actual puppet.

Oh... and is there any doubt Linden and her fiance will never be getting married? That might be the only for sure thing in the show right now as far as I'm concerned. Hahah.
Nancy
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:34:00 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/13/2007
Posts: 10,911
Location: East Side Wauwatosa
I think you're right...that we've already met the murderer. The focus on the election campaign makes me think that it could be someone connected with either side. It makes sense that it could be someone in the mayor's camp as he has the most to gain by discrediting Richmond. Richmond is trailing in the polls, but not by much. With all the time that's being spent on city politics, I can't help but think that they figure into the murder; but the connection is not yet clear.

A few things I've wondered...

1. Is there a connection between Stan and/or his associates and the mayor's harbor front development?

2. What's the story on the billionaire? He'd have the money for those fancy shoes, though I don't know how or why he'd be involved with Rosie.

3. What's going on between Gwen and her father? She's definitely a shady character and so is he.


Here's a link to the cast and characters...it has to be one of these people.

http://www.amctv.com/shows/the-killing/cast

I don't think that Holder will be the killer, but he sure is one weird dude. I love the character. I'm also impressed with Kinnaman's accent. He's a Swede who speaks English with an American accent. I tried to find a video of him speaking English with a Swedish accent and couldn't, though I found lots of videos with him speaking Swedish. Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoVYH7zXMXI&feature=related


Hitchens’ Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
AndrewJ
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:15:59 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/24/2008
Posts: 899
Location: Wauwatosa
Nancy wrote:

3. What's going on between Gwen and her father? She's definitely a shady character and so is he.


I think Gwen's father definitely wants Richmond for something. Name any of the ways a Senator could use a Mayor for something. It appears he sends his daughter and her talents in whenever he wants to get an upper hand. My guess is she knew that director from something he did for her father...and she probably slept with him to get him to do it. But again, like you said about the billionaire, how does any of that factor all the way back down to 17 year old Rosie.
Nancy
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 1:29:49 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/13/2007
Posts: 10,911
Location: East Side Wauwatosa
I won't comment on The Killing until I know that you've seen it.

I caught up on Game of Thrones last night. I actually like it quite a bit. I think I've figured out who's who and how they're related (mostly). The heroes and villains are coming into focus. I started watching primarily because of the hype. The show was very well reviewed. I don't think it will be groundbreaking, but it's a lavish production; well written and well performed. I'm a fan of Peter Dinklage. The stellar reviews added to the fact that he has a major part really convinced me to abandon my squeamishness about the fantasy genre and give it a try. Dinklage hasn't disappointed. I think I'll stick with it. One of my sons is watching and he likes it.

Time Warner just made Season 2 of True Blood available, so I'll watch those shortly.

Hitchens’ Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
AndrewJ
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 11:06:03 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/24/2008
Posts: 899
Location: Wauwatosa
I purposely didn't come in here yesterday because I knew I would be too tempted to read any posts on The Killing. Smile

Sunday's episode was good. It advanced the story just slightly again, and opened up a new avenue involving Bennett. I just can't believe how suddenly stupid he comes off. "Oh yeah... I forgot to mention... that girl that was murdered was here the night she went missing... whoops." I mean, c'mon. And I guess I should have factored in the slow pace when predicting Bennett's imminent beating by Stanley Larson. Looks like we have to wait until next week. Still not sure where the political angle is going... there wasn't much happening there, minus Richmond being trampled in the debate.

One question... who was the guy Holder was talking to in the sedan? Have we met him before?


I still have to watch Sunday's Game of Thrones. I'll probably try to take that in tonight. I agree with you on Peter Dinklage though. He's by far my favorite character at this point. I loved the scene where he was slapping around the prince.

Kudos to whoever did the casting... The kid playing the role of the prince is spot on. He could never speak a word, and just the look of him oozes arrogant, self entitled little punk. And same with the King. He has that big guy = big personality thing going on. Almost a Friar Tuck type, and it works great.


I predict that all it will take is one rainy day where you don't have much to do, and you will fly through that 2nd season of True Blood.
Nancy
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 5:12:11 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/13/2007
Posts: 10,911
Location: East Side Wauwatosa
I had to collect my thoughts before posting. A lot of questions were raised, for me, in Sunday's episode of The Killing. They seem to be looking at Bennet as the main suspect, but now there are holes in that theory.

The biggest is the fact that Bennet was still at the dance when he was supposed to have let Rosie into his apartment. The neighbor with the telescope reported seeing Bennet and someone else carrying a body out of the apartment sometime after Bennet would have arrived home from the dance. That suggests that it was Amber, not Bennet, who let Rosie into the apartment and that Amber killed or hurt Rosie.

The thing that doesn't jibe with that scenario is that Rosie was chased through the woods before she died. We also know that she was put into the trunk of the car while she was still alive. Bennet and the other person (Amber?) could not have been carrying Rosie's body out of the apartment. So, what does this mean? Was the neighbor with the telescope lying? Did he see them carrying Rosie unconscious, but still alive?

The dynamics at the funeral and the reception were interesting. What's Ames' connection with the family? It sounded like Jasper and Rosie had little more than a fling, so why was Ames at the reception? Why did Terry brighten when she saw him and then get so upset when he cut her dead that she went on a drinking binge? Why was she so mean to Belko?

Ames is wealthy enough to buy those fancy shoes. Could he have been the one who gave them to Rosie? One of the earliest leads in the investigation was a tip from Kris that Rosie had gone off with Jasper. Could it be that she went off with his father instead?

Why is Richmond so fixated on the Larsens? He went to the funeral without his entourage, so his gesture was not intended as a media event. His loyalty to Bennet also seems odd. How could someone as politically savvy as Richmond fall, so easily, into his opponent's trap in their debate?

It looks like Stan is on the verge of beating up or maybe even killing Bennet, which won't be good. Either way, he'll be charged with a crime and the family will have to deal with another crisis.

I'm looking for the connection between the Larsen's and Richmond's campaign. If there is a link, I suspect that it has something to do with Stan, his old associate Kovarsky, and the current mayor. Mayor Adams seems like somebody would know a well connected, powerful thug like Kovarsky.

Now that we're finding out more about many of the characters, I find myself wanting to know more about Linden. She's the calm, quiet, inscrutable center of the action. She must have a hell of a backstory.

What were your thoughts?




Hitchens’ Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Nancy
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 5:31:24 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/13/2007
Posts: 10,911
Location: East Side Wauwatosa
Re True Blood...I watched three episodes last night. I had planned to watch two, but the second ended with Jessica confronting her father so I knew I'd have to see the next before I could go to sleep. TW has made only the first six episodes available on VOD, so I'll have to finish the next three and then wait. I'll be at the point at which you predicted my feelings about characters would shift.

I can say that I like Jessica a lot, at this point. I liked her when she was a bratty teenager, but these three episodes have given her much more dimension. Her romance with Hoyt is sweet and I loved the scene in which they were kissing and she was mortified because her fangs popped out.

Eric and Pam are looking more interesting. I'm also starting to see the pathos in Andy and this makes him more likable.

I'm still sympathetic to Sookie, Bill and Tara. We'll see what the next few episodes bring.

Hitchens’ Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
AndrewJ
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:55:08 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/24/2008
Posts: 899
Location: Wauwatosa
Nancy wrote:

The thing that doesn't jibe with that scenario is that Rosie was chased through the woods before she died. We also know that she was put into the trunk of the car while she was still alive. Bennet and the other person (Amber?) could not have been carrying Rosie's body out of the apartment. So, what does this mean? Was the neighbor with the telescope lying? Did he see them carrying Rosie unconscious, but still alive?


Ahhh... perfect example of why I love discussing these types of shows. Someone always makes a connection that another person (me) may have missed. I didn't even think back to the fact that Rosie was alive when bound and put in the car, and had been running through the woods. I suppose you could make the case that Amber had only KO'd her, and once they got her to a secluded destination, she was able to escape. For a little bit anyways. It's hard for me to ignore that they are presenting Rosie being at Bennett's house late on the night she disappeared as a fact, and not a potential misunderstanding. But my guess is we'll find out that what the creepy telescope viewing neighbor saw them carrying was just a roll of carpet or something. Perhaps Amber did let Rosie in, and did attack/assault her in some way, but I'm thinking it didn't lead to her death.

Nancy wrote:

The dynamics at the funeral and the reception were interesting. What's Ames' connection with the family? It sounded like Jasper and Rosie had little more than a fling, so why was Ames at the reception? Why did Terry brighten when she saw him and then get so upset when he cut her dead that she went on a drinking binge? Why was she so mean to Belko?


You know... I was wondering if/when we'd get a back story on Rosie's Aunt. She's been in every episode up to this point and has been nothing more than a kind caretaker of the children. I kind of figured there was going to be something a little fuzzy about her past that would come up. Looks like we're about to get it. Clearly she was involved with Mike Ames at some point. I'm guessing a brief tryst, and she fell very hard when he gave her the broom. I'm thinking this is where we'll get an answer on those fancy shoes. Probably something simple like Rosie had borrowed them from her Aunt, who had received them from Mike Ames at some point. That's my theory anyways.

As for why she is so mean to Balko... I'm thinking that's your classic scenario where he has always had a crush on her, but she finds him to be beneath her, which is why she chases and falls hard for the Ames' of the world. And, in turn, is a real ass to the Balko's out there in order to diffuse any advances.

Nancy wrote:

Why is Richmond so fixated on the Larsens? He went to the funeral without his entourage, so his gesture was not intended as a media event. His loyalty to Bennet also seems odd. How could someone as politically savvy as Richmond fall, so easily, into his opponent's trap in their debate?


This is a tough one... At this point I am inclined to believe that this is just who Richmond is. He's a morally sensitive guy, who doesn't like exploiting people even if it means he gains something. I think the little meeting with Gwen's father showed this even further. When he said "we don't think you know how to WIN". To me, that translates to "you aren't willing to get dirty enough." Also, did they ever say exactly what happened to his wife? If he lost her to some type of tradgic event (ie. not an illness), maybe he just has THAT much sympathy for the Larsens, because he was recently in their shoes.

Nancy wrote:

It looks like Stan is on the verge of beating up or maybe even killing Bennet, which won't be good. Either way, he'll be charged with a crime and the family will have to deal with another crisis.


Yeah he is. My guess is that Linden arrives before any severe damage is done. He'll either be just tying Bennett up, or have only gotten one or two shots in on him. Given Bennett's transgressions, or at least attempted transgressions, with Rosie, he won't press charges, and this will be just another blip on the radar of The Killing.

Nancy wrote:

Now that we're finding out more about many of the characters, I find myself wanting to know more about Linden. She's the calm, quiet, inscrutable center of the action. She must have a hell of a backstory.


Oh, most definitely. I think we'll get a whole episode worth of her backstory. And it will come when her fiance finally throws in the towel on their engagement, which has to be right around the corner. They alluded to her having some kind of issue with getting wrapped up in one particular case, which is where those childs drawings and even the opening scene of the pilot with her jogging comes into play. Maybe she lost a family member or friend, which is what got her into police work in the first place? Or maybe it was just a case that really hit her hard. Either way, I think we're going to hear all about it.
AndrewJ
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 9:20:08 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/24/2008
Posts: 899
Location: Wauwatosa
Nancy wrote:
Re True Blood...I watched three episodes last night. I had planned to watch two, but the second ended with Jessica confronting her father so I knew I'd have to see the next before I could go to sleep. TW has made only the first six episodes available on VOD, so I'll have to finish the next three and then wait. I'll be at the point at which you predicted my feelings about characters would shift.

I can say that I like Jessica a lot, at this point. I liked her when she was a bratty teenager, but these three episodes have given her much more dimension. Her romance with Hoyt is sweet and I loved the scene in which they were kissing and she was mortified because her fangs popped out.

Eric and Pam are looking more interesting. I'm also starting to see the pathos in Andy and this makes him more likable.

I'm still sympathetic to Sookie, Bill and Tara. We'll see what the next few episodes bring.


I went back and read the re-caps from those three episodes on wiki. I forgot just how much I liked that season. You are about to get into the real meat of it. Hopefully TW doesn't hold out on those last 6 episodes for too long on you. Once the trip to Dallas happens, you really start to get some good backstory on Bill, Eric, and really the whole Vampire hierarchy/relationships.
Nancy
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 2:12:03 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/13/2007
Posts: 10,911
Location: East Side Wauwatosa
Thanks for your comments on The Killing. I agree with most of your conclusions. I can't see Amber scrambling through the woods after Rosie. Bennet could have chased her, though this is hard to imagine as he doesn't seem to be the cold blooded type. I could see him killing her accidentally, but not committing what was a brutal murder. I like the idea that they might just have been carrying a roll of carpet out of the building. They were refinishing the floors, after all.

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment of Richmond. I watched The Wire in its entirety. The mayoral race in The Killing is reminding me of a similar race in The Wire. Ultimately, The Wire's idealistic candidate had to make some uncomfortable compromises in order to win. Once in office, he was unable cut through the corruption or fix the mistakes of the previous administration to the extent necessary to pursue his agenda. I think this is what happens in real life, more often than not. In real life, Richmond would be doomed.



Hitchens’ Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Nancy
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 2:44:28 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/13/2007
Posts: 10,911
Location: East Side Wauwatosa
AndrewJ wrote:
Nancy wrote:
Re True Blood...I watched three episodes last night. I had planned to watch two, but the second ended with Jessica confronting her father so I knew I'd have to see the next before I could go to sleep. TW has made only the first six episodes available on VOD, so I'll have to finish the next three and then wait. I'll be at the point at which you predicted my feelings about characters would shift.

I can say that I like Jessica a lot, at this point. I liked her when she was a bratty teenager, but these three episodes have given her much more dimension. Her romance with Hoyt is sweet and I loved the scene in which they were kissing and she was mortified because her fangs popped out.

Eric and Pam are looking more interesting. I'm also starting to see the pathos in Andy and this makes him more likable.

I'm still sympathetic to Sookie, Bill and Tara. We'll see what the next few episodes bring.


I went back and read the re-caps from those three episodes on wiki. I forgot just how much I liked that season. You are about to get into the real meat of it. Hopefully TW doesn't hold out on those last 6 episodes for too long on you. Once the trip to Dallas happens, you really start to get some good backstory on Bill, Eric, and really the whole Vampire hierarchy/relationships.


I watched episodes 3-6 last night. The trip to Dallas is fun. I've just gotten to the point at which Sookie and her companion have been kidnapped by The Fellowship of the Sun, and Bill has just been re-united with Lorena. There's been one grisly flashback involving Bill and Lorena in the Roaring Twenties. It puts Bill in a different light. I also enjoyed the flashback to Eric's Viking days. I'm looking forward to meeting Godric.

There's a lot happening in these episodes with the trip to Dallas, Jason's adventures with The Fellowship of the Sun and the devilish orgies, orchestrated by Mary Anne, back in Bon Temps. I like the romance between Tara and Eggs Benedict. I was thinking that he was in collusion with Mary Anne, at first, but now it looks like she's using him.

I'm looking forward to the final episodes (soon, I hope...HBO is advertising that the whole season has been released for VOD, so I don't know why TW is holding back on the final six). I'm pretty sure HBO will make the third season available on VOD between now and the Season 4 premiere June 26th. From everything I've heard, Season 3 is weak but I'll still watch it. Most decent series have a weak or weird season. If nothing else, they help define the characters and advance the plot a little.



Hitchens’ Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Parliamentrope
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 7:39:53 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/9/2007
Posts: 239
We're TB addicts here. We got so impatient waiting for season three to be released that we subscribed to HBO. They're replaying season three now and season four starts in June. *squeal!* I love they way they intertwine so many mythical characters. I honestly didn't think I'd like the whole werewolf thing, but it works. The only bad part about watching it on HBO now is that they keep playing teasers for the new season, stating "Waiting Sucks".

Yes, it does.

"The holy grail is to spend less time making the picture than it takes people to look at it." Banksy
AndrewJ
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2011 9:59:38 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/24/2008
Posts: 899
Location: Wauwatosa
Nancy wrote:

I watched episodes 3-6 last night. The trip to Dallas is fun. I've just gotten to the point at which Sookie and her companion have been kidnapped by The Fellowship of the Sun, and Bill has just been re-united with Lorena. There's been one grisly flashback involving Bill and Lorena in the Roaring Twenties. It puts Bill in a different light. I also enjoyed the flashback to Eric's Viking days. I'm looking forward to meeting Godric.

There's a lot happening in these episodes with the trip to Dallas, Jason's adventures with The Fellowship of the Sun and the devilish orgies, orchestrated by Mary Anne, back in Bon Temps. I like the romance between Tara and Eggs Benedict. I was thinking that he was in collusion with Mary Anne, at first, but now it looks like she's using him.

I'm looking forward to the final episodes (soon, I hope...HBO is advertising that the whole season has been released for VOD, so I don't know why TW is holding back on the final six). I'm pretty sure HBO will make the third season available on VOD between now and the Season 4 premiere June 26th. From everything I've heard, Season 3 is weak but I'll still watch it. Most decent series have a weak or weird season. If nothing else, they help define the characters and advance the plot a little.



Argh... sucks (pun intended) that you have to wait for those last 6 episodes. You are right in the thick of that season. I think I can go out on a limb here and say you will enjoy the Godric character very much. And I do remember feeling a little scatterbrained at times during season 2, being that they were in so many places at one time. That gets better.

I think "weak" is a good description of season 3. They do introduce some very worthwhile characters. I can think of 3 new adds who I enjoyed watching every week. At the same time there were some characters and storylines that I just didn't care for.
Nancy
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2011 11:43:47 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/13/2007
Posts: 10,911
Location: East Side Wauwatosa
Parliamentrope wrote:
We're TB addicts here. We got so impatient waiting for season three to be released that we subscribed to HBO. They're replaying season three now and season four starts in June. *squeal!* I love they way they intertwine so many mythical characters. I honestly didn't think I'd like the whole werewolf thing, but it works. The only bad part about watching it on HBO now is that they keep playing teasers for the new season, stating "Waiting Sucks".

Yes, it does.


I noticed that they're playing Season 3, but I'm not watching because I haven't seen the second half of Season 2 yet. Their VOD schedule is out of sync with their daily schedule. It would have made more sense to release all of Season 2 on VOD before starting to show episodes from Season 3. I decided, last night, that waiting does suck and I've rearranged my Netflix queue accordingly. I've got the rest of Season 2 coming in the next few days. If I can get my act together, I'll set up my DVR to record Season 3 so I'll have that when I'm ready. I'll need to clear some space first...let go of the Mad Men and Dexter episodes I have lovingly saved.

Hitchens’ Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
AndrewJ
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2011 1:34:23 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/24/2008
Posts: 899
Location: Wauwatosa
I got to watch last nights The Killing as it was on, instead of having to wait a day like usual, which was nice. What were your thoughts? I'm still trying to digest the episode...

Couple of interesting take aways:
*Stan appears to have definitely given up "the life", but now maybe Mitch is going to pick up where he left off? Somewhat hard to believe, but that's what they made it seem like.

*Bennett has got to be involved in this thing one way or another, either that or he is hiding something else that is worse than murder. No way someone would continually lie to the police like that unless they had something major to hide.

* Apparently there is going to be a major Muslim element involved... Was it the pilot episode when Stan and Belko were at the market and Belko called the guy Osama? And now Linden and Holder are investigating mosques and find themselves face down in what I'm assuming is a Muslim owned butcher shop? Very interested to learn what they were staring at...

* I don't have too many thoughts on the political side of things... Another episode, another instance of Richmond getting screwed. I guess literally and figuratively in this particular episode. Although we did learn what I was asking for last week... the fate of his wife. Apparently killed in a drunk driving accident.

* We got a little more info on Linden's past regarding whatever case it was that she became obsessed over. And Rick has apparently given up. Can't say I blame him. I mean, she missed the flight... if you want to go, get on the next one. She opted to just outright cancel and then call him a bunch of times?
Nancy
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2011 5:10:41 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/13/2007
Posts: 10,911
Location: East Side Wauwatosa
I'm glad to see that you're still interested in the show. I am, too, but I took a look at some of the comments on various Internet sites and found quite a bit of negativity from fans as well as critics. That being said, I didn't find this episode quite as compelling as last week's, but it still offered some clues.

All shows have bridge episodes in which nothing much happens. If you watch Breaking Bad, then I cite the fly episode (if you don't watch BB...it was an episode that was devoted entirely to two characters chasing a fly around a high tech meth lab).

My observation, last week, that Rosie's death must have taken place away from Bennet's has not figured into the plot. Maybe Linden is keeping the chase through the woods in mind, but concentrating on leads that follow from events at the Ahmed household because she knows Rosie was there. It was the last place she was seen alive. So far, they've traced Rosie from the dance to the Ahmeds where somebody other than Bennet let her in (and Amber doesn't get a pass even though she says she was sitting outside the dance in her car). I'm not convinced the loony neighbor is telling the truth about what he knows, though.

I do agree with you and a growing number of fans and critics that the way they're handling Linden's dangling engagement is getting tiresome. It's pretty clear that she loves him but that when push comes to shove, she's more interested in the case. The pretense about going to the airport seemed like wasted airtime, though it was a set-up for one of my favorite moments of the show...Holder's reaction when he sees her in the office after she missed the flight. I also really liked the exchange between Holder and Linden in which he chided her for letting her commitment issues interfere with his career.

I don't think that Bennet's the guy, but I agree that he's up to something. Maybe he knows something. I think there has to be a connection between the missing Muslim girl and Rosie. It's kind of a big coincidence. Maybe Rose saw something she shouldn't have seen...in that butcher shop/slaughterhouse, perhaps.

I like the actor who plays Bennet Ahmed. With all the scenery chewing performance from the grief stricken family, it's easy to overlook a more subtle performance. He was especially effective when he was sitting in Stan's truck, frightened, fumbling for his cell phone. I also liked his return home, in which he appeared menacing...the slow walk down the hallway toward Amber and Linden, followed by his angry order to Linden to leave.

I cannot, for the life of me, remember where the address that Linden followed came from. Do you remember? Was it with Rosie's belongings? I could probably find out by reading a recap...TWOP is usually helpful in connecting the dots. I probably won't be reading any recaps today, though.

Richmond's imploding political career is becoming painful to watch. I'm hoping he has at least a little vindication. I'm keeping the idea, in the back of my mind, that there might be a Stan/Polish mob/Mayor Adams connection. That could lead to politically damaging revelations for the Mayor. Maybe my thoughts go, immediately, to political corruption because I watched The Wire and The Sopranos in their entirety. Both dealt with connections between organized crime and government. It was especially complex in The Wire. I see similarities here.

I wasn't sure what Mitch was up to, either. I missed some of the dialog in the scene when they were in bed...need to go back and take another look.

The ending of the episode raises interesting possibilities. The FBI busting in on a police investigation is a cliche, but it's effective. It's clear that the place was under surveillance for some reason. Aside from the obvious question as to why the FBI were there, my questions were:

Could this be where my Stan/Polish mob/Mayor Adams theory comes into play?

Could this explain why the lieutenant seems to backing away from the case? You'd think he'd tell Linden to back off, if so, but he was probably under the impression that she was gone. She seems to be kind of loose cannon at this point. I get the sense that her supervisor has no idea where she is what she's up to. I'm sure Holder thought she was in a plane on its way to Oakland.

Could the FBI presence explain some of Holder's weird behavior? Could he be an undercover FBI agent?

What will the effect be of Holder's violation of search and seizure laws? He may have destroyed evidence and he has probably rendered anything they find inadmissible in court. Did he have an ulterior motive for smashing his way in?

Is there terrorist activity suspected? I think that's an easy assumption...maybe even a little too obvious, given recent events, but the writers can't be blamed for failing to anticipate the killing of the top terrorist during their show's run.

That's it for this week.



Hitchens’ Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Nancy
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2011 6:44:38 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/13/2007
Posts: 10,911
Location: East Side Wauwatosa
True Blood...I got a few more Season 2 episodes from Netflix and devoured them Saturday evening. I've got one more disc coming, with the last two episodes, and then will have to figure out how to get Season 3. I started recording episodes, but missed the first four. I'll either have to wait until the DVD comes out on May 31 or go to a pirate site. I couldn't even get those episodes on Amazon if I was willing to pay for them (which I'm not - I already pay for HBO).

You were right...I loved Godric, what a sensitive, soulful character. I was sorry to see him go, but I have to say that scene of his death was lovely and I liked Sookie for her willingness to stay with him even though it might mean seeing something disturbing. I understand he comes back in flashbacks.

I am certainly feeling differently about some characters. I don't know that I like Bill and Sookie less at this point, though their romance is not as appealing as it was in the beginning. Despite his romantic side, Bill is a bit rigid and repressed. Eric is a lot more fun, so I can see the attraction between Eric and Sookie growing.

Bil is clearly influence by his past. I think he's sincere in wanting to live quietly among humans, but he keeps getting drawn into vampire drama one way or another. I liked the whole scene in Godric's house, just before the suicide bomber shows up. The vampires were all so dark and glamorous and the cat fight between Lorena and Sookie was great.

Tara is kind of a mess. I can't blame her for falling under Maryanne's spell, but she certainly does behave badly when she is in the throes of a Maryanne frenzy...trashing Sookie's house, head butting her mother, slugging it out with Eggs.

I like Sam a lot more. I didn't care for the character when all he did was moon over Sookie and have substitute sex with Tara. He's got more depth now that he's shape shifting all over the place and trying to outmaneuver Maryanne.

Maryanne is a great character. I enjoy watching Michelle Forbes simultaneously in her two, very different roles. As an artist, I appreciate her sense of style and especially the rotting meat/vegetable/flower structure she erected in Sookie's front yard. It's fun to watch the unrestrained lust and mayhem she creates wherever she goes.

I love Jessica. I think hers an an entirely believable depiction of hopeful, yearning, romantic teenaged girl unable to progress past that point. The relationship between Hoyt and Jessica is so sweet, but the scene of her attacking Hoyt's mother (who more than deserves it) does not bode well for the relationship. That happened in the last episode that I watched.

I haven't decided on Jason. He's such a goofball...intense, but unable to sniff out trouble before he gets in too deep to get out. The last episode I watched was the one in which Jason and Andy are standing on top of the truck, pretending that Jason is Dionysus (or something) in order to get the crazed townspeople to let Sam go. That was pretty good.

Can't wait for those last two episodes to show up in my mailbox...maybe tomorrow.

Hitchens’ Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Nancy
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2011 6:46:36 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/13/2007
Posts: 10,911
Location: East Side Wauwatosa
I'm still liking Game of Thrones, but am confused about relationships again. It's difficult when a series introduces so many characters at once. Lost and The Wire did that.

Hitchens’ Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Classified
Looking for a used car, a new job or a place to live? Search our interactive online classified ads.

Jobs | Cars | Homes
Rentals | Personals | More
Shopping
Yellow Pages
Find goods and services from local merchants in the online yellow pages.

Search