Tosa Town Square
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

<<Boards Main>>
tosatownie
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:33:57 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/22/2007
Posts: 2,772
Location: wauwatosa
Just got back from the Stand With Walker rally. I only heard a few speakers and the crowd was very pumped. Early in the day 10-30 - 1:30 ish there were tons of zealot Recallers out and about.

Of course, as usual the Scott Walker supporters cleaned up after themselves ( unlike for instance the Madison protest folks). Makes sense to me conservatives are always cleaning up after liberals and not just garbage!!!!

Any one else go or observe?

TT
Jrock
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 5:27:25 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/10/2007
Posts: 1,118
Location: SoJac
tosatownie wrote:
Just got back from the Stand With Walker rally. I only heard a few speakers and the crowd was very pumped. Early in the day 10-30 - 1:30 ish there were tons of zealot Recallers out and about.

Of course, as usual the Scott Walker supporters cleaned up after themselves ( unlike for instance the Madison protest folks). Makes sense to me conservatives are always cleaning up after liberals and not just garbage!!!!

Any one else go or observe?


Conservatives may clean up after themselves...but WTF is wrong with them obeying traffic signals. No less than 8 jaywalkers on State St crossing from the Pick N Save lot to the rally, half of a block away from a crosswalk/traffic signal. I laid on my horn and gestured wildly to let everyone know about the law breakers in our midst. Not to mention that parking at Pick N Save was probably violating something, if not an actual law.

Serious question...why do self identified conservatives, who preach about the "rule of law", never actually follow the little laws In my day to day exploration of my neighborhood it's the houses with the Republican yard signs whose dogs aren't on tie outs in the yard, who have fire pits in their yards clearly in violation of the city ordinance (no one on the SE side has 25 feet from a fence/garage/house), shoveling out their corners, the jaywalking at todays rally, etc.

"...living in the sprawl. Big shopping malls rise like mountains, neon mountains. And there's no end in sight, I need the darkness someone please cut the lights." 'Sprawl II (Mountains) Arcade Fire
tosatownie
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 10:54:12 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/22/2007
Posts: 2,772
Location: wauwatosa
Everyone I spoke with said it was the recall folks who violated laws, parked at Pick and Save and Sentry and were completely rude and I work at one of the stores so this was coming from unbiased sources including young folks who tend to be liberal.

TT
izzie
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 11:00:37 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 6/11/2007
Posts: 3,071
Jrock wrote:
Serious question...why do self identified conservatives, who preach about the "rule of law", never actually follow the little laws

It's common among true believers, whether you're conservative or liberal. In fact, Bob Dylan expressed it in one of my favorite quotes (from Absolutely Sweet Marie): "To live outside the law you must be honest." It means that laws don't apply to you if your sacred agenda is in conflict with authority. It's the hippie mentality of the '60s, and it's no different than the tea partiers.
Edit: I deleted my former, mean-spirited example. Let's say instead, it's evident in the guy who decides it's OK to shoot the abortion doctor rather than just legally carrying his sign back and forth.

In a completely rational society, the best of us would be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something less, because passing civilization along from one generation to the next ought to be the highest honor and the highest responsibility anyone could have. -Lee Iacocca
tosatownie
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:53:56 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/22/2007
Posts: 2,772
Location: wauwatosa
izzie wrote:
Jrock wrote:
Serious question...why do self identified conservatives, who preach about the "rule of law", never actually follow the little laws

It's common among true believers, whether you're conservative or liberal. In fact, Bob Dylan expressed it in one of my favorite quotes (from Absolutely Sweet Marie): "To live outside the law you must be honest." It means that laws don't apply to you if your sacred agenda is in conflict with authority. It's the hippie mentality of the '60s, and it's no different than the tea partiers.
Edit: I deleted my former, mean-spirited example. Let's say instead, it's evident in the guy who decides it's OK to shoot the abortion doctor rather than just legally carrying his sign back and forth.


This is very well the crux of the entire recall and protests gone crazy. I'll even admit that while obnoxious the Madison anti-Walker protester folllowed the law. The simply weren't civil and wanted to verbally beat up the opposition. The extreme rhetoric for or against candidates can go away in my opinion.


TT
Jrock
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 10:12:07 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/10/2007
Posts: 1,118
Location: SoJac
tosatownie wrote:
izzie wrote:
Jrock wrote:
Serious question...why do self identified conservatives, who preach about the "rule of law", never actually follow the little laws

It's common among true believers, whether you're conservative or liberal. In fact, Bob Dylan expressed it in one of my favorite quotes (from Absolutely Sweet Marie): "To live outside the law you must be honest." It means that laws don't apply to you if your sacred agenda is in conflict with authority. It's the hippie mentality of the '60s, and it's no different than the tea partiers.
Edit: I deleted my former, mean-spirited example. Let's say instead, it's evident in the guy who decides it's OK to shoot the abortion doctor rather than just legally carrying his sign back and forth.


This is very well the crux of the entire recall and protests gone crazy. I'll even admit that while obnoxious the Madison anti-Walker protester folllowed the law. The simply weren't civil and wanted to verbally beat up the opposition. The extreme rhetoric for or against candidates can go away in my opinion.


I'd much rather have law abiding than civil. As a parent I would think that would be more important to you as well. Civil is subjective, the law is pretty black and white and easy to follow.

"...living in the sprawl. Big shopping malls rise like mountains, neon mountains. And there's no end in sight, I need the darkness someone please cut the lights." 'Sprawl II (Mountains) Arcade Fire
tosatownie
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 10:47:15 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/22/2007
Posts: 2,772
Location: wauwatosa
Jrock wrote:
tosatownie wrote:
izzie wrote:
Jrock wrote:
Serious question...why do self identified conservatives, who preach about the "rule of law", never actually follow the little laws

It's common among true believers, whether you're conservative or liberal. In fact, Bob Dylan expressed it in one of my favorite quotes (from Absolutely Sweet Marie): "To live outside the law you must be honest." It means that laws don't apply to you if your sacred agenda is in conflict with authority. It's the hippie mentality of the '60s, and it's no different than the tea partiers.
Edit: I deleted my former, mean-spirited example. Let's say instead, it's evident in the guy who decides it's OK to shoot the abortion doctor rather than just legally carrying his sign back and forth.


This is very well the crux of the entire recall and protests gone crazy. I'll even admit that while obnoxious the Madison anti-Walker protester folllowed the law. The simply weren't civil and wanted to verbally beat up the opposition. The extreme rhetoric for or against candidates can go away in my opinion.


I'd much rather have law abiding than civil. As a parent I would think that would be more important to you as well. Civil is subjective, the law is pretty black and white and easy to follow.


In my home law-abiding is a given, we also try to teach civility and provide our children with How to Win Friends and Influence People. Clearly, few people here follow the tenants of that great book, myself included. Maybe Tine does ?

TT
Happytransplant1
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 10:52:05 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/15/2011
Posts: 304
Location: Tosa Eastside
tosatownie wrote:
Everyone I spoke with said it was the recall folks who violated laws, parked at Pick and Save and Sentry and were completely rude and I work at one of the stores so this was coming from unbiase sources including young folks who tend to be liberal.


I was at Metcalfe's around 3:45 and it was plain as day that the people carrying pro walker signs and/or were getting into cars with pro walker bumper stickers, were not recall folks. That's not to say that recallers did not take up customer parking-- I would wager that many did.

I am biased, until someone takes my parking space.

"When you walk through the door of opportunity, you do not slam it behind you. You reach back and help others succeed."
~Michelle Obama, Septemebr 04, 2012~
Nancy
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:02:01 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/13/2007
Posts: 10,911
Location: East Side Wauwatosa
tosatownie wrote:
izzie wrote:
Jrock wrote:
Serious question...why do self identified conservatives, who preach about the "rule of law", never actually follow the little laws

It's common among true believers, whether you're conservative or liberal. In fact, Bob Dylan expressed it in one of my favorite quotes (from Absolutely Sweet Marie): "To live outside the law you must be honest." It means that laws don't apply to you if your sacred agenda is in conflict with authority. It's the hippie mentality of the '60s, and it's no different than the tea partiers.
Edit: I deleted my former, mean-spirited example. Let's say instead, it's evident in the guy who decides it's OK to shoot the abortion doctor rather than just legally carrying his sign back and forth.


This is very well the crux of the entire recall and protests gone crazy. I'll even admit that while obnoxious the Madison anti-Walker protester folllowed the law. The simply weren't civil and wanted to verbally beat up the opposition. The extreme rhetoric for or against candidates can go away in my opinion.


You understand that this applies to your side too, right?



Hitchens’ Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Nancy
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:11:08 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/13/2007
Posts: 10,911
Location: East Side Wauwatosa
tosatownie wrote:
Jrock wrote:
tosatownie wrote:
izzie wrote:
Jrock wrote:
Serious question...why do self identified conservatives, who preach about the "rule of law", never actually follow the little laws

It's common among true believers, whether you're conservative or liberal. In fact, Bob Dylan expressed it in one of my favorite quotes (from Absolutely Sweet Marie): "To live outside the law you must be honest." It means that laws don't apply to you if your sacred agenda is in conflict with authority. It's the hippie mentality of the '60s, and it's no different than the tea partiers.
Edit: I deleted my former, mean-spirited example. Let's say instead, it's evident in the guy who decides it's OK to shoot the abortion doctor rather than just legally carrying his sign back and forth.


This is very well the crux of the entire recall and protests gone crazy. I'll even admit that while obnoxious the Madison anti-Walker protester folllowed the law. The simply weren't civil and wanted to verbally beat up the opposition. The extreme rhetoric for or against candidates can go away in my opinion.


I'd much rather have law abiding than civil. As a parent I would think that would be more important to you as well. Civil is subjective, the law is pretty black and white and easy to follow.


In my home law-abiding is a given, we also try to teach civility and provide our children with How to Win Friends and Influence People. Clearly, few people here follow the tenants of that great book, myself included. Maybe Tine does ?


This is a nation that was founded on rabble rousing. There are times when citizens need to make their voices heard because government is no longer serving the common good. This is one of them. The protests all over the country, including the Walker recall, have one underlying theme...economic equality. We have a government that serves the wealthy. We want a government that serves the people.

Hitchens’ Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
tosatownie
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:30:28 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/22/2007
Posts: 2,772
Location: wauwatosa
Our governement does not serve the wealthy. Taxes are redistributed to the poor or lower income. That is why so many hardworking middle American types are drawn to conservativism. It's your perspective that the government serves the wealthy, not mine and many others.....

TT
2rottieguy
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 3:09:41 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/26/2007
Posts: 2,492
Location: eastside tosa
So if people agree with you they are "pumped" but if you disagree with them they are "zealots".

The dickens you say.
Tine
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 6:17:02 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/24/2007
Posts: 5,151
Location: Tosa
tosatownie wrote:
Everyone I spoke with said it was the recall folks who violated laws, parked at Pick and Save and Sentry and were completely rude and I work at one of the stores so this was coming from unbiased sources including young folks who tend to be liberal.


Oh sheesh.

We see what we are looking for. We talk to PLUs (people like us) who reinforce what we are already thinking. We don't notice the rest.

I saw no recall people being rude. Of course, I merely nodded at them and thanked them for their service, so why would they be rude to me? I imagine a few were rude when people said angry things to them. That's not right, but people are human. We all tend to do the same things given the same provocations unless we work really, really hard at doing otherwise.

You didn't see anyone being rude either but are relying on others who saw it. And why are the people unbiased? Because they work there or because they know you? I don't understand that part of the sentence.

What is your evidence that young people tend to be liberal? Even when I was young and it was a time of liberal surge, I knew as many people who weren't liberal as who were. Seems unlikely there'd be more liberals now.

Let's face it, we're divided. There are about as many people who are for Walker as there are who are opposed to him. So where does that put us?



Get off the teat?! We are the teat.
rubber
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 10:10:22 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/17/2008
Posts: 1,689
Location: tosa
I wish I could find a few "people like me." I voted for Neumann and Hilary.



2rottieguy
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 10:20:58 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/26/2007
Posts: 2,492
Location: eastside tosa
rubber wrote:
I wish I could find a few "people like me." I voted for Neumann and Hilary.





I voted the same way. I think we might be doing better as a whole if the candidates we picked prevailed.

The dickens you say.
Happytransplant1
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 10:49:52 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/15/2011
Posts: 304
Location: Tosa Eastside
I just got back from one of my favorite local watering holes, which is located across the street from Hart Park, and found out that the 3,000 plus pro-'job creators' did not stop in to help our local economy.

At least our uncivilized folks in Madison were able to pump up that local economy . . .

"When you walk through the door of opportunity, you do not slam it behind you. You reach back and help others succeed."
~Michelle Obama, Septemebr 04, 2012~
JiveTurkey
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 8:17:04 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/5/2007
Posts: 747
Location: Wauwatosa
Happytransplant1 wrote:
I just got back from one of my favorite local watering holes, which is located across the street from Hart Park, and found out that the 3,000 plus pro-'job creators' did not stop in to help our local economy.

At least our uncivilized folks in Madison were able to pump up that local economy . . .

Speaking of job creators, did anyone see this in the onion a few months back - "Remains Of Ancient Race Of Job Creators Found In Rust Belt" -

http://www.theonion.com/articles/remains-of-ancient-race-of-job-creators-found-in-r,26490/


...I'm not here to make things better, only to observe and pass judgement.
Happytransplant1
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 8:45:51 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/15/2011
Posts: 304
Location: Tosa Eastside
JiveTurkey wrote:
Speaking of job creators, did anyone see this in the onion a few months back - "Remains Of Ancient Race Of Job Creators Found In Rust Belt" -

http://www.theonion.com/articles/remains-of-ancient-race-of-job-creators-found-in-r,26490/


If it weren't so true, it would be hilarious.

"When you walk through the door of opportunity, you do not slam it behind you. You reach back and help others succeed."
~Michelle Obama, Septemebr 04, 2012~
zephyr
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 9:32:12 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/26/2007
Posts: 425
Location: Tosa
Happytransplant1 wrote:
I just got back from one of my favorite local watering holes, which is located across the street from Hart Park, and found out that the 3,000 plus pro-'job creators' did not stop in to help our local economy.

At least our uncivilized folks in Madison were able to pump up that local economy . . .


Seriously? Your criticism is that Walker supporters didn't stay out drinking on Sunday night?
izzie
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 10:09:17 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 6/11/2007
Posts: 3,071
Happytransplant1 wrote:
JiveTurkey wrote:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/remains-of-ancient-race-of-job-creators-found-in-r,26490/

If it weren't so true, it would be hilarious.

It is hilarious anyway. Sad, too.
"One of its more bizarre customs involved workers being employed at the same job at the same location day in and day out for their entire adult lives. It was grueling, perhaps, but astonishingly, some of these individuals were able to set aside part of their earnings for the future, slowly saving money with the hope of improving the prospects of their offspring."

I read that and thought about "job creator" Mitt Romney, creating Staples - whoosh! - out of the dust of a thousand pretty good little office supply stores . . . and that's his best job creation story. Maybe making him president would be a good thing, keeping him out of places like Bain Capital where he does his worst damage . . .

Another idea it brought to mind was maybe that's the source of all this inexplicable jealousy over teachers and other public employees, why it wasn't enough that they were willing to make concessions on wages and benefits.

American commerce, for whatever reasons, no longer supports that bedrock of our culture, the stable family. As expressed in the satiric quote above, the days of stable employment at a family supporting wage are a distant memory for the great bulk of the middle class. If you've got a marketable skill in today's fast-changing environment, you may be able to sustain continued employment, but be ready to move. To think that you will be able to live in the same neighborhood, go to the same church, and keep your kids in the same schools is a pipe dream . . . and it's something important and valuable that we've lost. If you don't believe me, ask your kids.

So, unsaid at the core of the thinking must be something like, "if we can't expect safe, stable employment from the private sector anymore, why should it be available to public employees?" And, that's what I call a race to the bottom.

In a completely rational society, the best of us would be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something less, because passing civilization along from one generation to the next ought to be the highest honor and the highest responsibility anyone could have. -Lee Iacocca
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.
Classified
Looking for a used car, a new job or a place to live? Search our interactive online classified ads.

Jobs | Cars | Homes
Rentals | Personals | More
Shopping
Yellow Pages
Find goods and services from local merchants in the online yellow pages.

Search