Tosa Town Square
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

<<Boards Main>>
AndrewJ
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:11:23 AM
Groups: Member

Hi All,
Looking for a little help from The Square... each year I help host a fundraiser which splits all donations equally with half going to a HS Scholarship Fund, and the other to a cancer related charity (historically Breast Cancer). In previous years we've donated to the Komen Foundation. This year, the decision is to move away from that charity and to try and find something more local/personal. I have no doubt that Komen helps do some good things, but at this point it appears to operate more like a corporation than a charity. Thus, the decision to look elsewhere.

Ideally we'd like to find something that donates directly to a local individual, or perhaps something with local kids in treatment. Really, just grasping for anything local and worthwhile. Please post any suggestions! And thank you!!
Nancy
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 12:30:39 PM

AndrewJ wrote:
Hi All,
Looking for a little help from The Square... each year I help host a fundraiser which splits all donations equally with half going to a HS Scholarship Fund, and the other to a cancer related charity (historically Breast Cancer). In previous years we've donated to the Komen Foundation. This year, the decision is to move away from that charity and to try and find something more local/personal. I have no doubt that Komen helps do some good things, but at this point it appears to operate more like a corporation than a charity. Thus, the decision to look elsewhere.

Ideally we'd like to find something that donates directly to a local individual, or perhaps something with local kids in treatment. Really, just grasping for anything local and worthwhile. Please post any suggestions! And thank you!!

I can ask around to see whether there might be programs that help kids deal with the emotional impact of cancer. That's my area of expertise. I have limited experience with that specific population myself, but have had a few general psych patients in treatment for cancer and could see that it's lonely, frightening experience for them. One girl in particular had to be isolated for months as she had bone marrow transplants and other treatment for leukemia. They had to limit visitors as her immune system was so fragile. I brought her games and art supplies that I paid for out of pocket (that's my form of charity). The hospitals offer support programs, but I'm not sure they're funded very well.

Hitchens’ Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
AndrewJ
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:18:19 PM

Thank you, Nancy! So far I haven't been able to find too much. There is this ABCD charity which is essentially a support/education group for breast cancer patients. It is local. Otherwise the best option is looking like a donation to St. Judes Children's Hospital.

This isn't some enormous fundraiser by any means, but last time we were able to raise over 4k, so sending over 2k to each charity. The HS Scholarship is $500 a year, so with one event we funded it for 4 years. That's the kind of impact we'd like the other donation to make as well. We all got the feeling sending 2k to the Komen foundation probably just paid for a bunch of stationary or something.
Swamp Gas
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:34:46 PM

Check this out

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together
Nancy
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:42:00 PM

AndrewJ wrote:
Thank you, Nancy! So far I haven't been able to find too much. There is this ABCD charity which is essentially a support/education group for breast cancer patients. It is local. Otherwise the best option is looking like a donation to St. Judes Children's Hospital.

This isn't some enormous fundraiser by any means, but last time we were able to raise over 4k, so sending over 2k to each charity. The HS Scholarship is $500 a year, so with one event we funded it for 4 years. That's the kind of impact we'd like the other donation to make as well. We all got the feeling sending 2k to the Komen foundation probably just paid for a bunch of stationary or something.

I agree that almost any donation to an organization like Susan G. Komen would get lost. My father was a research hematologist. He discouraged donations to groups like the Leukemia Society because nobody in the field ever got the money. All his research was government funded.

Anyway...I was thinking that maybe there's a small clinic or even a group of volunteers that does work with children with cancer and might need a donation to help pay for supplies. Insurance companies will usually pay for therapists, but it can be tough to get funds for things like art supplies, musical instruments, books, items for play therapy, etc.

Another option might be Ronald McDonald House, which houses families from out of town with children in the hospital.

Hitchens’ Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Nancy
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 4:11:25 PM

I posted to my friends in the therapy community and didn't come up with much.

From what I've heard, the Ronald McDonald House is an enterprise that puts most of its charitable contributions into the program. As the parent of a child who needed a lot of reconstructive surgery before he was two, I can attest to the importance of a place to relax and refresh when you're spending most of your time at the hospital with a sick child. It's a great resource for families from out of town.

Another idea might be to ask the activities department at Children's for a wish list...toys, games, art supplies, etc. If you did that, every penny you collected would go to benefit children directly. The kids I work with adore the Wii that somebody donated, the big screen TVs, the library, toys. The toys may get loved to pieces, but that's because the kids really appreciate them. We have a decent library...picture books for the children and novels or non-fiction for the teens. A lot of the kids use it. We also have a DVD collection...kids movies. That's the kind of thing that hospitals often need...that kids love and need and that may not be budgeted.

AndrewJ
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:30:42 AM

Thank you for asking around, Nancy! Greatly appreciated!

We decided to go with ABCD (After Breast Cancer Diagnosis)
http://www.abcdbreastcancersupport.org/

It's a local group that provides both psychological support and resources for patients. Since our friend did ultimately pass away from complications of breast cancer, it's a fitting group for us. Truthfully, I wish I had some more info about what exactly they'll do with the $$ we raise. For instance, after our last event when we donated to Komen Foundation, a couple of months later I got what amounts to a lifetime supply of address labels from them. I couldn't help but think/feel "is this what my $2+k went for? Personalized address labels?" Argh.

Being a local group that doesn't have gigantic national aspirations, I get the feeling (fingers crossed) they'll use the money wisely. Now we just need to raise them a good chunk!!
cuddles
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 10:59:11 AM

Kathy's House is similar to Ronald McDonald House, but much smaller. They are a wonderful organization and would GREATLY benefit from your donation. They are located here in Wauwatosa.

www.kathys-house.org

**** I just read your last post. Kathy's House is great because you can get involved personally and actually see where the money goes. They also have a Facebook page.

Don't outsmart your common sense.
Nancy
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:43:01 PM

AndrewJ wrote:
Thank you for asking around, Nancy! Greatly appreciated!

We decided to go with ABCD (After Breast Cancer Diagnosis)
http://www.abcdbreastcancersupport.org/

It's a local group that provides both psychological support and resources for patients. Since our friend did ultimately pass away from complications of breast cancer, it's a fitting group for us. Truthfully, I wish I had some more info about what exactly they'll do with the $$ we raise. For instance, after our last event when we donated to Komen Foundation, a couple of months later I got what amounts to a lifetime supply of address labels from them. I couldn't help but think/feel "is this what my $2+k went for? Personalized address labels?" Argh.

Being a local group that doesn't have gigantic national aspirations, I get the feeling (fingers crossed) they'll use the money wisely. Now we just need to raise them a good chunk!!

I think the key is to stay local. Groups like Komen start out small and efficient, but they get so big that more and more of their funds go to administration and salaries.